ABV conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meadsupporter

Reaction score
ABV conversion

I normally have a caculator that does the work for me but I guess today it will not let me enter the values, and I forget the conversion formula.

Long story short my OG was 1.051 and my FG was 1.014
can anyone tell me the approx alcohol by volume [ABV]?

* a bit off topic but i do not taste any 'buttery popcorn'; so I guess I did the diacetyl rest correctly :)

I keep reading that the formula is (OG - FG) * ~131... and I have seen 131.25 several times as the more accurate number.

I've also seen a couple of references to 129.

Using my 131.25 gives you an ABV of 4.86%... which is close enough to passedpawn's number as to not matter one whit.

I keep reading that the formula is (OG - FG) * ~131... and I have seen 131.25 several times as the more accurate number.

I've also seen a couple of references to 129.

Using my 131.25 gives you an ABV of 4.86%... which is close enough to passedpawn's number as to not matter one whit.

Maybe it's 131 :eek: That was from memory. In fact, I know I've done that exact thing before (wrong multiplier). Sorry.

You know, I always just look at the OG to know what the final ABV is going to be. I.e., this one should be about 5.1% (1.051). Mathematically, if you assume 76% attenutation, my shortcut works perfectly.

Maybe it's 131 :eek: That was from memory. In fact, I know I've done that exact thing before (wrong multiplier). Sorry.

You know, I always just look at the OG to know what the final ABV is going to be. I.e., this one should be about 5.1% (1.051). Mathematically, if you assume 76% attenutation, my shortcut works perfectly.

Very cool way to ballpark it.

1.054 -1.014=0.04 x 131=5.24 That the way I'ver been figuring it. just checked the FG on my watermelon Wheat 1.010 (extra sugar added) Started at 1.062-1.010=0.052X131=6.812, not bad for a wheat, Just tasted the sample, a little thin, but the watermelon flavor is nice:)

Latest posts

Back