Kannan's Sor-Yum MTS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kannan

Reaction score
Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: ½ Red Star Cote des Blancs dry wine yeast
Yeast Starter: ¼ cup
Batch Size (Gallons): 1
Original Gravity: 1.08
Final Gravity: 1.03
Boiling Time (Minutes): 00
Color: brown
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 15 days/70

28 Fl Ozs. Pure Sorghum
1 Tsp Yeast Nutrient (from http://www.homebrewery.com)

Heated the Sorgum to make it easier to pour, poured it into gallon carboy half full of water, shook well for a couple of minutes, then added yeast and nutrient, then topped off with water. Was out of airlocks, so I placed a balloon with two pin holes in it over the top of the stopper until I managed to get an extra.

Added Bentonite 2 days before bottling. Added ¾ cup of brown sugar just before bottling for carbonation, but this was less than successful. My next attempt on this I will not use bentonite, but rack into a secondary and allow it to clear on its own.

The final product had a very beer-like flavor and mouthfeel. however, because of the stuck fermentation, there was little carbonation, and the result was a slightly flat beer taste.

2012-09-12 14.12.03.jpg

Well, if you're not interested in hoppy bitterness and unconcerned about sorghum twang then this would, obviously, work perfectly.

Good on you for finding a good, cheap, easy recipe that you like!

Back