Gelatin in Secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhalko1969

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
This is my first post but I have been reding for a while.
I have made a few beers all of which have I used extract with some specialty grains. I have a German Alt in my Secondary right now and would like to try using Gelatin to help clear the Brew. I got some clear flavorless gelatin but dont know how to add it. Do you mix it in some water before adding? How much do you use?
I have ALWAYS used Isinglass finnings but wanted to try something different this time.

Thanks,Randy:mug:

I thought you needed to add the clearing stuff during the boil.

Also clear beer is a look only, why risk your beer in the 2nd fermentor?

I use the Knox brand of gelatin and what you do is basically, add the pouch to a cup of water and let it hydrate. Stir it in well. Then heat it up but not to a boil. Add this heated mix to cold wort in secondary. The colder your wort is the better it works.

I'll add to boo-boo's: Stir gently but well and give it at least 2 days to clear.

Raffie: Irish Moss, whirlfloc, etc. only work in the boil. Other agents called finings (gelatin, Isinglass, polyclar) work in the clearing tank on the cold brew.

Thanks guys, I always chill the Brew in my Secondary before adding Isinglass Finnings so I will do the same before adding the Gelatin.

Raffie, I know clear beer is only for looks but I give beer to freinds and relatives and I like to impress them.:tank:

I was also told some think clearing beer removes flavor.

Not sure if its true or not.

I'm sure it removes some flavor, but some flavors ought to be removed. ;)

Seriously, it'd have to be a rather small amount of stuff you're clearing out. It's not like you're using a filter. I wouldn't worry about it.

Back