Making a kegerator. What is this hose and this wire?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey y'all

I'm making a kegerator and got a question about taking out (or just moving) the freezer part.

Here are pictures of what I'm talking about.

http://imgur.com/a/0OvlO

There's a hose and a wire. My guess is the wire is a thermostat and the hose is used to add condensation to the freezer part. What can I do about this? Can anything be removed?

I plan on adding my own temperature controller but first have to be able to fit the beer in the fridge, right?

Thanks for the help!

The wire is the thermostat tube the tube may be the refrigerant going to the coil which is the whole metal freezer unit. if you take the freezer unit out you will have a storage container not a refrigerator.

tim2akat2 is right on both counts.

Having followed a few build threads using similar cold-plate units your options are pretty much limited to unfastening the cold-plate from the "roof" and carefully bending it flat to the back wall.

The thermostat sensor probably won't reach so you'll likely have to remove it from the plate and find some place to hang it. That will affect the internal controller's ability to regulate (apparently it really wants the direct sensing of the cold-plate temperature, reading the air temperature isn't enough) but that's not a huge deal if you're going to use an add-on controller.

You might be able to Google up a thread or two to get some ideas if you search the model number of your fridge...

Cheers!

Thanks! I thumbsed up your posts ;-)

I bent it back. Here's the update:
http://imgur.com/a/zHMx4

My next question is: Is it dangerous/bad to have the cooling unit as it is: so close to the CO2 tank and line? Either way, I'll fire it up in a couple days and make sure it works then do the drilling and tapping for the hoses and whathaveyou.

Thanks!

the CO2 tank and line won't matter the gage will show a lower pressure if inside the fridge than if it was outside but it will be fine. Tim

Latest posts

Back