IPA kit help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guyhaydon

Reaction score
Hello all
First time posting. I am about to start brewing a "Muntons connoisseurs IPA bitter".
I am going to use a muntons beerkit enhancer (50/50 spray malt and dextrose), and i am planning on dry hopping it with citra and amarillo hops, since i am looking to give fill the finished beer out a bit. Oh and I bought a gervin ale yeast to use instead of the nameless stuff in the kit. Along with this, I wouldnt mind upping the ABV a little.
Advice? add extra brewing sugar along with the beerkit enhancer?
any thoughts on other improvements I can do?

cheers!

Just use the enhancer, which is DME and dextrose. The problem with using sugars is that yes, they will add alcohol to the beer but they will also thin out the flavor and depth of the beer. The enhancer at least attempts to address this issue by using 50% Dried Malt Extract, but the dextrose portion creates a thinner beer.

I would probably use some software like Beersmith (free trial) to gauge what my ABV might be on the finished beer and then go from there. You might also need to make a starter from your yeast packet or buy multiple more packets the higher you raise your orignal gravity.

thats great, thanks for the help. I think I will just crack on with the kit using the 1kg enhancer, then dry hop in the primary towards the end of the fermentation, give the final product some body.
thanks for the help!

I always use the nameless yeast in the kit (I "have" tried the "Premium Yeasts" (costs money?) I don't think Muntons connoisseurs IPA bitter would risk selling any product that would be a detriment to the finished product & their name?

I brew EDME & Muntons & Brewmaker IPA's & add Brupaks "Flavapak -Ale" & also put the used bags in the fermenter to wring out every last bit of flavour. 500g Muntons Hopped Light DME & 1kg of ordinary cane white sugar, the "yeast" in the kit. I ferment for at least a month, maybe 2, maybe 3?. If there is pressure in the air lock I leave it. When finished, transfer to a barrel & taste, I may add a little hop oil, taste after 1 month? & leave for 2 months & more. "*"Superb"*" (I just like a different approach to my brewing) I then pour a pint of the trub from the fermenter into a "clean" plastic 2ltr water bottle, (I use natural spring bottled water for brewing) add a tbsp of sugar & a tbsp of lemon juice to the harvested yeast trub, keep in a warm area, when the bottle gets as hard as rock I know the yeast has "took" then place in a cool area, to keep.

that is quite a unique method. thanks for the input. any additions or pointers to mine as well as the dry hopping?

Ok another one for you, how long to leave this in primary and when to begin the dry hop? I was thinking around a week of dry hop? I'm planning on 1oz total of hops, 50/50 citra Amarillo. It went into the primary one week ago today, and I'm planning on taking a hydrometer reading later.
Thanks again!

Give it at least another week in the primary to make sure the yeast are truly done and then drop the hops in. A week or even a little less and you'll be ready to bottle. Use your hydrometer to verify that you are at FG before bottling though.

sounds about right, thanks for the help. 2 weeks or so from now was pretty much my timescale. im going to keg it rather than bottle and then leave that a week whilst I go to the czech republic. cheers.

I would leave it in the fermenter for 3 weeks and dry hop in the keg and save some time/hassle. Use a hop bag though...

I was thinking it would be easier to dry hop for a number of days in the primary, since im not sure how long it will be in the keg for, and wouldnt want to get any unwanted tastes developing.. I was just planning on dry hopping it for a week or so with no hop bag..

also, gravity reading today was 1010 from sg of 1042. so looking good there then. thoughts?

Back