How do i sterilize vanilla bean?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Soak it in vodka or other flavorless alcohol. You can even soak it for a week or two and then strain out the liquid and add only that.

Reno_eNVy said:
Soak it in vodka or other flavorless alcohol. You can even soak it for a week or two and then strain out the liquid and add only that.

I don't have vodka, how about some Remy martin

That's a tough one. I have no idea. You can always boil them in a small amount of water and add that concoction.

Reno_eNVy said:
That's a tough one. I have no idea. You can always boil them in a small amount of water and add that concoction.

Should I do the same with my frozen oranges?

I don't bother trying to sanitize vanilla beans going into secondary. The alcohol content and low pH of the beer take care of things.

Yup. If you want a bunch of bitter orange flavor then boil them with the rind. Otherwise just use the meat.

If your putting it in secondary the low ph and alcohol in your beer should make infection very unlikely. I was listening to a podcast with Denny Conn this weekend where he said he doesnt worry about it. A little vodka would make me feel better.

I cut it open, scrape the inside of the bean, put it in water, and bring it to a boil. Then I put it in the secondary and racked on top of it.

If your putting it in secondary the low ph and alcohol in your beer should make infection very unlikely. I was listening to a podcast with Denny Conn this weekend where he said he doesnt worry about it. A little vodka would make me feel better.

Hey, he even said that here! ;)

Well I took albs of frozen orange meat, ninja'd it put just enough water to covere them and brought to boil. Transferred to secondary with 3ozs of NZ Green Bullet and 2ozs of Citra. Split 1 vanilla bean and added to secondary than racked on top of it. Sound alright?

Well I took albs of frozen orange meat, ninja'd it put just enough water to covere them and brought to boil. Transferred to secondary with 3ozs of NZ Green Bullet and 2ozs of Citra. Split 1 vanilla bean and added to secondary than racked on top of it. Sound alright?

Sounds... Interesting... What style of beer are you trying to make?

SoupNazi said:
Sounds... Interesting... What style of beer are you trying to make?

It's my attempt at a cremecicle IPA. The wort tasted amazing, little orange notes, creamy from the lactose and rolled oats, a smell of vanilla from the teaspoon of extract, and heavy chinook/Citra hop flavor. Let's see what the secondary and 5 more ozs of hops gives me!

if you have extra beans you should get a small bottle of vodka ( i have a pint of absolut) an soak them in there for a couple weeks/months.. it'll be the cheapest and best vanilla extract you'll ever use for cooking

I just cut open the beans, spray with purisan/starsan toss in hop bag and put in fermenter. Haven't had any issues doing it this way and I do it with 3bbl at a time.

I spray with starsan, but before cutting the bean. You only have to worry about the outside. Spray it down, shake off the excess then split, scrape and toss it in. No need to mess around with vodka or boiling or anything like that. I do it regularly and haven't had a single issue.

Boiling the vanilla bean will drive off all the aromatics you are looking to get into the beer.

I don't bother trying to sanitize vanilla beans going into secondary. The alcohol content and low pH of the beer take care of things.

I sprayed mine with sanatizer, cut it down the middle and tossed into secondary.

No need for vodka, magic voodoo dolls, battery acid baths, etc...:mug:

Back