Same recipe/process but this time terrible clarity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xpertskir

Reaction score
So I made

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/three-floyds-zombie-dust-clone-303478/

for the 5th of 6th time with different hops and yeast. This time I used citra and southern cross and WLP002(I have used this for other batches) and the clarity is absolutely terrible.

My process(relevant for the discussion)

AG brewer
Whirfloc at 15min
In primary for 35 days total
last 3 ish days of coldcrashing, last 13 days with dry hops(including cold crash)

Keg, then carb for a week at serving temps ~40ish.

I make mostly hoppy beers with large dry hop additions and my proccess typically leads to great clarity, commerical like. I have even made the above recipe with Dennys(which is notorious for its poor floculation) and was still able to get excellent clarity.

BTW, the beer is delicious but I dont understand why this beer would have such terrible clarity compared to other times I have made this recipe.

Any insight? Thanks. :mug:

It is pretty common for chill haze to appear for the first week or two at serving temps, then fall out, leaving nice, clear beer. It is very possible that the new yeast you used is not as flocculant as whatever you used previously, which would promote more chill haze.

Take a look at the beer closer to the 15-16 day mark at serving temps, and I would bet you'll have your clarity back.

It is pretty common for chill haze to appear for the first week or two at serving temps, then fall out, leaving nice, clear beer. It is very possible that the new yeast you used is not as flocculant as whatever you used previously, which would promote more chill haze.

Take a look at the beer closer to the 15-16 day mark at serving temps, and I would bet you'll have your clarity back.

It's not chill haze, It looks like a hefeweizen....

I should also mention that it is the exact same "batch" of WLP002 that I stepped up, divided, and stored. And yes, a starter was used prior to pitching.

We will see how time in the keezer treats it, Im happy it tastes great, the clarity is more of a vanity thing and it just perplexes me since I seemingly have that issue pretty well handled.

Back