How long to start seeing my hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tilldeath

Reaction score
So first year, just planted a rhizome in some potting soil this morning, wondering how long they take to sprout? Just so I know if they are alive or not.

This might be a new record for impatience. :p

if you're starting inside, give it 10 days to 2 weeks IIRC. I still would recommend just planting it in the ground ASAP, JMO.

Yep.

I suggest weekly you could dig up your hops and look at the buds, but I also think thats a little ridiculous. I think you should assume your hops will grow despite you and worry more about your trellis and my sworn enemy, the dreaded Japanese beetle.

No need to dig them up to check. Depending on how deep you planted them and the weather I would say it can take 10 days to 3 weeks. Last year I planted mine about 3-4 inches and the one that had some buds broke ground in about 10-14 days and the one with no buds broke ground in about 2 weeks.

Just RDWHAHB...

I've had rhizomes that sprouted in 2 days, and I've had ones that took 4 weeks - all in good SoCal weather too.

No need to dig them up to check. Depending on how deep you planted them and the weather I would say it can take 10 days to 3 weeks. Last year I planted mine about 3-4 inches and the one that had some buds broke ground in about 10-14 days and the one with no buds broke ground in about 2 weeks.

Just RDWHAHB...

So if the buds have broken off they will still take just fine if just roots?

Yup...nothing to worry about. It would break ground faster if there were buds or sprouts already there but they will bud again if they broke off.

Back