NHC 2010, are you entering?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking of feedback, for anyone who has entered NHC before, how is the feedback? Any different than a local competition or is it basically the same, region and judge dependent? In other words, do they tend to use more experience judges?

Judging in terms of experience and rank is probably better than most regional competitions, but likely not as good as the best. They use the most experienced judges that show up, just like every other competition. You have to consider that some very experienced judges that are trying to win Ninkasi (Jamil, Gordon etc) enter so much beer they probably can't really judge at all in their own region. But that only affects a pretty small number of people.

The best judging will always be second round NHC (draws a lot of experienced judges that are there for the conference), MCAB and the very large regional comps (Upper Mississippi Mashout, World Cup, Dixie Cup, Mayfair etc).

I forgot to say what I entered.

10A, 10B, 10C, 11A, 14B, 21A, 23. Maybe next year I'll enter some of the less populated categories and gun for medals, but this year I'm focused on comment sheets.

If I recall, my last year's regional entries were judged by primarily recognized and certified. In comparison, this year's War of the Worts entries were judged by certified and about half of them had a Grand Master III. How many grand masters would you think there are in the country?

If I recall, my last year's regional entries were judged by primarily recognized and certified. In comparison, this year's War of the Worts entries were judged by certified and about half of them had a Grand Master III. How many grand masters would you think there are in the country?

I dont know but know this
There is only ONE Grand Master Flash

0020-20grandmaster20flash20-20messa.jpg

32, there are three grandmaster III ranked judges so it is highly unlikely that half of the flights at War of the Worts were actually judged by one of them. I think you got lucky.

There are 35 master ranked judges and 418 national.

I'll be judging in the first round of nationals. I still don't see how a title can make you better than someone with a good palate. I mean I'd take the test if I could, but the scheduled exam here in OCTOBER is already full, so **** it. I'll judge and if it becomes available near me, I'll take the test. In the meantime, I'm pretty confident that I can judge as well as a national judge.

The entry window closes today and I forgot to send out my entry. Oh well. At least I can drink the last 4 bottles of my honey-raisin pale myself :)

Speaking of feedback, for anyone who has entered NHC before, how is the feedback? Any different than a local competition or is it basically the same, region and judge dependent? In other words, do they tend to use more experience judges?

I think it depends greatly on region. Even more specifically, where in that region the judging is being held. Two years ago I entered some beers in the Nationals and thought the feedback was kind of sad. There was 1 BJCP judge and 1 non-BJCP judge. While I would never say that I discount the feedback of a non-BJCP judge, these judges just seemed to be paraphrasing what the BJCP judge said. What is the point of two people judging a beer if they are just going to write the same thing.

I know that South Regional is now held around here, and it has been my experience that the judges (at least most) around here are quite good. We might not have a bunch of Grandmasters and all that, but a lot of very good Certified and Recognized judges that will give a beer a fair shake and thoughtful comments. You can't expect ever judge to taste/smell every possible taste or aroma, but you can expect for them to spend a reasonable amount of time expressing what they can taste.

I think the Regionals can but a strain on some locations. When you have 500+ beers to judge, it can be a logistical nightmare to get them done in 4 or even 5 sessions unless you have a very large pool of judges. To get more judges I think that some competitions will just take anyone and sit them down with a National judge to get 2 judges. Well, if that person has no experience with BJCP styles and scoresheets, they tend to just copy the National judge, again defeating the purpose of 2 judges. But, on the other hand a non-BJCP judge that is familiar with a style and familiar with the scoresheet format, can be a very valuable addition to the judging pair and give good feedback.

I'll be judging in the first round of nationals. I still don't see how a title can make you better than someone with a good palate. I mean I'd take the test if I could, but the scheduled exam here in OCTOBER is already full, so **** it. I'll judge and if it becomes available near me, I'll take the test. In the meantime, I'm pretty confident that I can judge as well as a national judge.

I think this goes with my point a lot. It does not matter that you are not BJCP. You want to judge because you want to give people feedback on their beer. Honestly, the test will not make you a better judge. Only experience can do this. The exam (or preparing you for the exam) will help make you better at filling out the form (maybe) and understanding the styles, but you have the guide in front of you when judging anyway.

The entry window closes today and I forgot to send out my entry. Oh well. At least I can drink the last 4 bottles of my honey-raisin pale myself :)

I was too busy last weekend and can't go to drop off today, so I am not entering any this year. Why is the window closing on a Thursday? I highly doubt any location is going to be able to get all the beers tagged and chilled to be judged this weekend. Having the drop-off end Saturday would makre more sense IMO.

The title signals experience and experience is correlated with quality judging. Nobody ever claimed a perfect correlation between BJCP rank and ability, but it is far from zero.

Why is the window closing on a Thursday? I highly doubt any location is going to be able to get all the beers tagged and chilled to be judged this weekend. Having the drop-off end Saturday would makre more sense IMO.
Is it because they want all the beers to have sat upright and stabilized at the same temp for at least a couple of days?

Not sure about the AHA NHC but a decent-sized local comp practically begged me to help judge a recent comp. They had never met me in person, tasted any of my beers, or even knew how long I had been brewing. Leads me to believe there is a massive shortage of not only qualified judges, but just anybody willing to do it. They just needed a body/name. I didn't feel comfortable doing it so I passed. The reviews I got from that comp were a copycat deal like Beerrific mentioned, almost word-for-word.

Is it because they want all the beers to have sat upright and stabilized at the same temp for at least a couple of days?

That is important. But, I would have to guess that between now and Saturday, the boxes will not be touched. Meaning, they will not even be unpacked until next week at the earliest. I guess they want a blanket deadline and some shops/locations did not want to accept on Friday or Saturday.

Looks like the levelof entries will be record breaking everywhere. I think two regions already hit their cap of 750 entries, and today a rather urgent request for judges went out in the Northwest. Today is the last day to enter and they put the Northwest count at 670-690. They could come real close to maxing out every region this year and they have never maxed out any region.

They might have to rethink the way they handle the event next year, maybe further splitting up the regions to create more.

That'll just make it more sweet if one of us wins something. :D

aaaaaand.... the polls are closing as we speak, ladies and gentlemen.

32, there are three grandmaster III ranked judges so it is highly unlikely that half of the flights at War of the Worts were actually judged by one of them. I think you got lucky.

There are 35 master ranked judges and 418 national.

I'm not sure how it read but I meant that half of my entries specifically were judged by a GM3 and it's the same guy. No way would I expect half of all entries to have been.

The title signals experience and experience is correlated with quality judging. Nobody ever claimed a perfect correlation between BJCP rank and ability, but it is far from zero.

I just think you know your **** or you don't. A rank doesn't make any difference.

do they have booths at this nhc where people can showcase a product they think other brewers might be interested in?

That'll just make it more sweet if one of us wins something. :D

aaaaaand.... the polls are closing as we speak, ladies and gentlemen.

That would be nice. Good luck to all the HBT'ers who enterred.

Being the last minute person that I am I bottled from keg around 2PM today and left for the drop off location in Seattle just before 3:00PM. Drop off was open till 5:00PM. I missed my exit, had to turn around, then got completely jammed up in a traffic mess.

I arrived at Pyramid brewery with my 3 entries in hand at 4:43PM screamin bloody murder at the traffic and my hair on fire, but I made it.

when is that actual judging? (is that posted somewhere?) Ive never put in for NHC before, and Ive seen how other comps are at getting score sheets back (weeks)... are the first round score sheets returned pretty fast?

when is that actual judging? (is that posted somewhere?) Ive never put in for NHC before, and Ive seen how other comps are at getting score sheets back (weeks)... are the first round score sheets returned pretty fast?

Mike, I think it varies by Region. I don't think my Region (SW) judges until the last weekend in April.

I don't know if it is posted anywhere, however I know from the e-mails I've received through my brew club asking for help what the Northwest schedule is.

Entries were due Thursday Apr 01 by 5:00PM

Wed 4/7 and Thurs 4/8 are listed as bottle sorting dates so I assume this is where they group the beers and schedule the flights.

Friday evening 4/9 and all day Sat 4/10 are listed as judging days.

If the other regions follow a similiar schedule it looks like they will judge about 1 week after the cutoff date for entries.

I don't know what the schedule is for returning results, but with the Nationals in Mid June, and realizing they need to leave time for some brewers who may wish to rebrew entries I'd say they need to turn results at least to the advancing entries in a couple weeks.

I just think you know your **** or you don't. A rank doesn't make any difference.

I think everyone gets better with experience, if they are trying to get better, and rank does signal experience.

I do agree that some people are just naturally better. Very few people could walk into their first competition cold and do a great job as beer advocate and ratebeer and general beer geekery do not well prepare one for non-hedonistic blind judging which is entirely different.

The judging varies by region and each region is listed as a competition in both the AHA and BJCP lists of sanctioned competitions. They are all in April.

The dates listed will be the dates that the regions planned to judge. In many cases, some flights will be judged before and some after those dates as the number of judges committed to the primary judging times will be insufficient.

I believe the results for all regions will be released a the same time (so that some people don't have more time to rebrew than others). Score sheets getting mailed back relies on someone enveloping and mailing them, but its probably going to be a week or two.

What I'm curious about is how many folks submitted beers made from recipes here. How many Haus Pale Ales and SWMBO Slayers and whatnot are in NHC.

I submitted three: my milk stout that won BOS in the HBT contest, a whiskey barrel porter aged in a barrel from HBT, and an Amber recipe of my own. We'll see how it goes. I didn't realize entries were due last week and made quick decision on Sunday night of what to enter.

I was excited about entering, so I signed up for an AHA membership at the very end of Feb. I got an e-mail the next day saying "membership materials shipped." Unfortunately, they meant "membership materials will ship a in a month." I could've paid a little extra and entered as a non-member, but I held out hope that I'd have my number in time. Now it's too late. I would've entered my stout and rye IPA two categories each. There's always next year. I'm looking forward to my first issue of Zymurgy.

I didn't enter this year. I just don't have the enthusiam for competition any more. I'm excited about the conference, though, and I'm all registered for that.

Yeppers. They had the first flights scheduled Friday night, and judges were to arrive at 8:00AM this morning with judging to start at 9:00

I think most judging is next weekend. I know South is. One week turnaround on >700 entries can be tough, I am surprised anyone is doing it this week.

I sent in my smoked porter, English bitter, Dry Stout and a 60 Schilling. Won a best of show and several 1st with the bitter.

Back