Question for those running pumps.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FSR402

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Whjat hoses are you using? I was looking at Mcmaster Carr today and HOLY HELL, the hoses I was finding were over $7 per foot.
What are you using? Heck it would be cheaper to hard pipe it with copper at that price.

I use a mix of tubings for my set up. This first is quite stiff, but is bendable. It is white, but you can see in it well enough to see bubbles. I use this for connecting to the pump and various valves.

mcmaster partnum=5392K39
High-Temp White Polypropylene Tubing 3/8" ID, 1/2" OD, 1/16" Wall Thickness $0.67/ft

The second tubing (below) is very flexible and will pinch if bent too hard. I use this to connect the Mash tun to a valve on a tee. My HLT hooks to other part of the tee so I can swap between pumping water to the tun from the HLT and for vorlauf and draining of the tun. I also use the flexible tubing for my return to the mash tun for the vorlauf and also to recirculate hot wort after my plate chiller. I also have it after another Tee and valves to switch between recirculating and draining to the fermenter (or boil pot)

52035K27
Durable Norprene Rubber/Plastic Tubing Food & Beverage, 3/8" ID, 1/2" OD, Beige $2.40/ft

You DO NOT want a soft tubing for draining after boiling if you use a plate chiller. If you have any kind of plugging of your pot filter, the pump will pull enough of a vacuum to collapse the tubing. A stuck mash will do the same thing, but having a pump, it is no big deal to just stop the pump, stir the mash, re-vorlauf and then drain.

mcmaster partnum 51135K41
1/2" ID, 1/16" Wall High-Temperature Silicone Rubber Soft Tubing, $1.29/ft

I haven't personally used this, but am going to purchase on my next mcmaster batch.

mcmaster partnum 51135K41
1/2" ID, 1/16" Wall High-Temperature Silicone Rubber Soft Tubing, $1.29/ft

I haven't personally used this, but am going to purchase on my next mcmaster batch.

I have some of that, but I prefer the thicker walled stuff better

Back