1st Year Cascade - ALL MALE?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LongDogBrew

Reaction score
I planted a jumbo cascade rhizome this year. The plant is very healthy and grew to 25 feet but it had all male flowers with zero female flowers. I bought the rhizome from a local grower which was harvested out of their crops. What would have caused this? The plant doesn't seem to have been stressed at all. Is there a possibility that it will produce female flowers next season or should I dig it up and plant a new one next year? Thanks!

Having a portion of the root system cut away and removed from the earth might actually be considered a very stressful activity for the plant, don't you think?

Doubtful it'll ever go back to being a girl.

Plants are either male or female not both. It's pretty uncommon to see a male rhizome. Where'd you get it?

How do you tell the difference between a male and female hop plant? If both produce flowers / cones ...?

I have a hermaphrodite Zeus. Heat stress caused it. It is sterile. It has cones and dingle berries. That was last year. This year just cones (so far).

If you have a male plant (the picture looked it to me) it will stay male. If hops are kept from breeding they are essentially clones of the source cutting. So if you started with a male it will remain male. A female remains female or tries to flip under stress. Hope this helps?

Thanks for the responses. I dug it up today. Unfortunately, there's a high probability it has pollinated my two other female plants. So, they'll end up with some seeds. They are both first year plants too so not too many flowers anyway.

Back