Simcoe, Amarillo & Cascade combination?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayhem

Reaction score
So I'm planning to brew an IPA soon using equal parts Simcoe, Amarillo and Cascade in the late boil, hop whirlpool and dry hop.

How do these 3 hops do together? I'm looking for a tropical/citrus aroma, flavor.

Which of these hops has the strongest flavor? is equal parts of each going to work well? This is my first time using Simcoe or Amarillo, they are expensive and hard to find so I don't want to waste them! I also have a couple ounces of Citra left I could use as well but would that be overkill?

Yes, they pair well together.

For more fruity & tropical, use Simcoe & Amarillo in higher late boil and dryhop proportions. Simcoe will also add pineyness. For more citrusy, use more Cascade. Citra would add to the tropical notes.

in all seriousness, i love using those hops, and just did one using citra instead of cascade, equal parts. you really get the whole realm of hop goodness, with pine from the simcoe, flowers from the amarillo, and grapefruit citrus from the cascade. great combo.

I just brewed a 50/50 amarillo / simcoe IPA and it was fantastic. I wanted a bit more from the hops so I am thinking that the cascade could add to that, but the citra is sounding good as well. Really, anything will work well there if it has that citrus taste to it. Maybe sorachi ace to get some of the lemony flavors. Just a thought but the cascade will play well with the other two.

I brewed my IPA 2 weeks ago. I used Super Galena to bitter and then a bunch of Cascade at 30 minutes, equal parts Cascada, Simcoe, Amarillo and Citra as a hop stand. I plan to use another 2.5oz dry hop in each 5 gallon batch of Simcoe, Amarillo, Citra. Can't wait! This one is going to be tasty!

I brewed my IPA 2 weeks ago. I used Super Galena to bitter and then a bunch of Cascade at 30 minutes, equal parts Cascada, Simcoe, Amarillo and Citra as a hop stand. I plan to use another 2.5oz dry hop in each 5 gallon batch of Simcoe, Amarillo, Citra. Can't wait! This one is going to be tasty!

Nice! Sounds perfect; that's what I do too...C-hops during the boil, and Simcoe/Amarillo for hopstand or dry hop.

I'd consider reducing or skipping the Citra DH...it can be a fruity bully. I've loved it in late boil or hopstand... it's fruitiness still comes through loud and clear w/out covering up the Simcoe/Amarillo.

Nice! Sounds perfect; that's what I do too...C-hops during the boil, and Simcoe/Amarillo for hopstand or dry hop.

I'd consider reducing or skipping the Citra DH...it can be a fruity bully. I've loved it in late boil or hopstand... it's fruitiness still comes through loud and clear w/out covering up the Simcoe/Amarillo.

Good idea. I will drop the Citra from the DH and use Cascade instead. I did an all Citra DH pale ale last time I would rather let the Amarillo/Simcoe shine on this one. :mug:

I actually have an IPA in bottles right now that is 3:2:2 simcoe:amarillo:centennial @ 15,10,5,FO (plus 1 part citra @ FO) that is pretty damn awesome. Went 3:1:1 simcoe:amarillo:centennial on the DH. Tons of tropical and citrus fruits meshed together too much to tell when one starts and another ends, and a touch of pine to round it out. I say go for it.

Back