I lost my fermentation temp control...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

veritas524

Reaction score
Yep, the wife got a job and can no longer rotate frozen water bottles into the water bath every 2-3 hours... I'm going to try the towel/fan method and tossing in frozen bottles when we can, any suggestions to keep things stable? My garage (where the beer lives) hits about 80 degrees in the afternoons this time of year.

That should work out. It takes more than a few hours to move a few degrees with the volume inside a carboy or bucket. Did I say that right? Think core temp, outer layer warmer/cooler than inside layer. Plus a (big) cardboard box over the whole setup to hold cool in and heat out will help. I have different problem, its 26F here:D Cheers:)

Well I think with the extra income your household has now she could afford to buy you a cheap fridge or freezer for you to ferment in now. Don't you? ;)

I think you hit the nail right on the head... I'm already digging around craigslist looking for a tiny fridge or window AC unit to slap some foam boards around. It's more of a matter of space vs money. I already have a 7cu ft chest freezer for my kegs and a dedicated beer fridge in the man cave. The wife might flip if I fill up anymore of our tiny house with another device that has a compressor with the explicit purpose of beer... Then again, it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permision. ;)

A buddy of mine who had a similar issue said he would wet a t-shirt and lay it over the bucket to help it keep it from warming. Something about condensation and whatnot... he's much smarter than I am, but he swears by it.

Back