Pohutakawa Cerveza

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NZLunchie

Reaction score
I'm trying to see if I can easily make a nice summer session beer with a twist. I want to use Pohutakawa honey. For those that don't know what a Pohutakawa tree is - wikipedia is your friend :p

The reason I have gone for Pohutakawa honey is because it has a salty aftertaste, mainly due to the tree being on the coast of New Zealand, so it gets covered in sea spray. Now you may ask why I would want salt in my beer? Well, technically I don't, I figure some lime or lemon either at bottling or in secondary will give it yet another twist......most of you can probably guess where I'm going.

I'm hoping the recipe will become a summer stalwart in the fridge, obviously depending on the flavour of the honey.

Recipe is bastardization of Revvy's Vienna Lager I just dropped the Vienna, dropped the C60 to C20 to go for the lower colour of the style and added 1kg of Pohutakawa honey.

Hops say B Saaz, being from New Zealand I will try to get my hands on some Motueka or Riwaka if I can, if not any other recommendations?

Pohutakawa Cerveza
Vienna Lager

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 23.0
Total Grain (kg): 5.128
Total Hops (g): 38.30
Original Gravity (OG): 1.052
Final Gravity (FG): 1.010
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.52 %
Colour (SRM): 10.1 (EBC): 19.9
Bitterness (IBU): 19.5 (Tinseth)