Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alamo_Beer

Reaction score
So I heard there is this flower that tastes good in beer...

Do the hop additions sound right for this IPA? I've got a pound of each so I can easily go up or down.

Thanks!

Type: All Grain
Date: 10/19/2007
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Brewer: Andy
Boil Size: 5.72 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Equipment
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 85.54 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 4.28 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4.28 %
8.0 oz Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 4.28 %
3.0 oz Carafa III (525.0 SRM) Grain 1.63 %
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (20 min) Hops 10.9 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (20 min) Hops 19.9 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (10 min) Hops 6.5 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (10 min) Hops 11.9 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (5 min) Hops 3.6 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (5 min) Hops 6.5 IBU

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.063 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.016 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.12 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %
Bitterness: 59.4 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 16.1 SRM Color:

Yummm!!! That sounds floral. I have been putting in around 15% of my wanted IBU's in the kettle after first wort (or before the boil if not batch sparging), and the rest late in the boil for more aroma and flavor. I really like this technique for hoppier beers, but forget where I heard it from. I am going to try one though like you are doing at least once, as soon as I standardize my APA recipe (almost there on my hop selection by the way, :D).

You might have picked it up here. There was a discussion about late hop IPAs about a year ago.

Your probably right david_42. I read everything I can on here and still haven't made it halfway through. I love this forum and all its splendor, lol. :ban:

Seriously though, I wasn't into hoppy beer until I went to my first brewpub (which I ended up brewing at for an internship) and tried an APA for the first time. After that it was all over and I became two types of hop head, lol. In the brewery, and before (during my home brewing) I had never used anything but pellets and at the standard additions. Now I am free to use whole hops for anything aroma and flavor-wise and stick to my pellets for bittering for my 45 minute or more hops. Once I used these in conjunction with the pre-boil bittering addition, it was instant rounded bitterness from the pellets and with those wonderfully floral whole hops exploding in my nose and taste buds. I am so hooked on cascade now you could probably call it an addiction. I would recommend everyone try this with an already tried and true recipe so they can see what I have seen. Oh, and of course swap to whole hops or plugs for the final additions.

Back