Not to be wasted, but not to be trusted...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warthogrugby

Reaction score
I had my Keezer fail on me a couple of months back while I was traveling to China... I hadn't realized that it had failed for probably a solid month before opening it up and looking at the mayhem. All four of my corny kegs were coated with a good layer of mold. I didn't have the time or money (was in the process of getting married) to take care of the issue, so I said "F*CK IT!" and left it be to when I could get to it.

I just finished up my new keezer, cleaned/wiped/disinfected down, hooked it all up, and poured each of the four beers. Two of them, a Dunkleweissen and a raspberry heff, taste and smell fine. However, my Stout and Irish Red are suspect... The Red only had a few beers left, so I swapped it out anyway, but the Stout is near full. When poured, it didn't have an off taste that I could detect, but there was some unsettling "foam" after the pour. Again, it didn't taste off and I only had about 2 ounces (not enough to give the squirts, I would hope), so I am not sure if it is bad or not or if I should risk drinking/serving it.

Would the mold have an opportunity to gain access to the internals of the Keg? Considering the air locked seal and whatnot I wouldn't think so, but I was curious if anyone had similar experiences like this.

Thanks!

I wouldn't think so either, but you could have introduced something while you were taking everything apart. If you disconnected your liquid out line, and got something on one of the posts I guess it could theoretically infect something if it didn't get fully cleaned. I think it would be a stretch though.

Mold requires oxygen. I HIGHLY doubt there was oxygen in the keg.

Great, just making sure that my line of thinking wasn't based on the dependency :) Trying a glass or two tonight to see how I fair in the morning.

More than likely if you only tasted 2 ounces you got some of the plastic line funk, from the beer line. Usually you don't taste in diluted in a whole glass. It does come out with some weird bubbles at first. Pour out the first few ounces before you pour your pint then check and see if you taste it anymore.

I had cleaned the lines, so it was straight out of the Keg. I had a few pints last night and it seemed okay. This morning agreed.

When In China, I normally drink Tsing Tao. It's really not bad. But then, it is hard to complain when it's about $0.50 a 22 in the store. I did try the Tsing Tao "Stout" this last trip... It was interesting. It tasted like more or less the same beer, at least hops and yeast wise, just with some roasted malt added in for a roasted taste and color.

I had cleaned the lines, so it was straight out of the Keg. I had a few pints last night and it seemed okay. This morning agreed.

When In China, I normally drink Tsing Tao. It's really not bad. But then, it is hard to complain when it's about $0.50 a 22 in the store. I did try the Tsing Tao "Stout" this last trip... It was interesting. It tasted like more or less the same beer, at least hops and yeast wise, just with some roasted malt added in for a roasted taste and color.

I was in China a few years back. Overall the beer was decent. They learned to brew in the 1800s from the German colonial period in the late 1800s. I had a lot of good local lagers.

I've been going to Shanghai recently and there is an even larger German influence on that city. Between Lowenbrew and hoffbrauhaus, it's pretty good. It's just a shame that 0.5L is about $10...

Back