How old of a freezer would you buy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdchampion

Reaction score
Hey all,

I've been looking for chest freezers to convert into a keezer for a little while now without much luck. I'd like to get at least a 14.8 cu ft size, but most of the ones I'm finding are quite old. So, my question is, how old is too old? Would you buy a 20 yr old freezer?

Couple options I have right now:
20yr old 20+ cu ft for $100.
10yr old 20+ cu ft for $200 (quite a drive to get it)

Or for those out there with experience, would you prefer two smaller size freezers (5-7 cu ft) over one big one? I plan on keeping about 4 kegs on top and I also want to be able to ferment lagers. I have a fridge as my current kegerator that I plan on using for fermenting ales.

Thanks for the advice! I know freezers are supposed to last a long time, but I'd hate to drop $100 on a freezer tha only last a few years.

Brent

I salvaged my chest freezer from my Mom's basement when she was getting ready to move. Sticker on the back says 1984 and its still rockin strong 2 years later. :rockin:

As long as it will still freeze I would say its a safe bet.... Personally, I'm not sure that I would lay down any money on something that old though. It was worth the gamble for me cause it was free.

I'm sure I wont be the last to suggest Craigslist, but also start asking your friends and family if they know of any old chest freezers. You would be amazed at how many are sitting unused that people want to get rid of.

I would just make sure the either of them work before buying them. We had a freezer at work that we needed to use as a dairy reach-in. We went through two freezer compressors trying to run it at 38-40. I haven't seen to many people complaining about their chest freezers burning out but it's something to think about.

If you had the space I would go with 3 different ones.

A kegerator, a Lagering chamber and a Fermentation chamber for Ales. That would allow you to dial everything in independently.

If you had the space I would go with 3 different ones.

A kegerator, a Lagering chamber and a Fermentation chamber for Ales. That would allow you to dial everything in independently.

Unless you're really into lagers, I think two is plenty. You can have your ferm control one, and then lager in your keezer.

Good advice. Since I already have the fridge for a higher temperature fermenter, a larger freezer would probably give me the most versatility. I wonder if I'd make lagers more often because I'll have temperature control though?

So, I take it that most people wouldn't fork over money for an older freezer...which is kind of my though as well. I can see getting something 5 yrs old, but even then its gotta be a pretty good deal. Problem is Craigslist hasn't had much in the last 3 weeks or so. Guess I'll have to be patient.

So, could anyone tell me what year/timeframe freezers became more energy efficient? I know there's probably not a definitive answer, but I'm looking for something like "stay out of the 90's" or best to be within the last 5 years, etc. I don't really care if it's not up to part with the newest models, but I'd like something that's not going to double my electric bill.

Thanks!

My freezer came from craigslist 2 years ago. 21 cubic feet. 1978. $40. Done deal every time.

Works like a champ

I paid $35 for one on craigslist that was probably 25 years old or more. It runs like a champ. Something like 17 cubic feet.

I'd buy the newest one that would fit my budget. I found a very small freezer only a couple of years old for $75. It was too small for brewing projects, but I am using it for freezing food and using our old upright for ferm chamber.

But I saw many freezers still plenty new enough for not much more than that. Many large ones too.I'd probably not want to pay more than $100-150 for anything. There's just too many around here to make me want to spend more.

Back