What does what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enf0rc3r

Reaction score
Are there any resources to easily find substitutes when converting recipes? I don't have the ability to go all grain and I enjoyed my first partial mash. Rather than posting or asking everytime I need a recipe converted, is there someplace I can immediately look and see what my subs would be?

While it seems like you want an online resource, brewing programs such as BeerSmith ($20, and a huge benefit to all aspects of brewing) will convert back and forth with about 3 clicks. Google didn't bring up many direct answers but there are apparently some spreadsheets floating around that could help. Kyle

When I was doing partial mashes, I would mash the specialty grains along with ~2 pounds of the base malt. I would then convert the remaining base malt to DME (light or extra-light). 1 lb of base malt = ~0.6 lbs DME (or ~0.75 lbs LME).

Is this what you mean?

Take the honey orange wheat recipe in this site. He has all grain, partial, and extract recipe versions. How do you calculate from all grain?

Take the honey orange wheat recipe in this site. He has all grain, partial, and extract recipe versions. How do you calculate from all grain?

Hitting original and final gravity is whats important, most all-grain recipes include specialty grains.Start with a pale extract and use specialty grains until you hit o.g and .f.g with a online calculator like this one:http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/recipe.html

Enf0rc3r said:

It depends on how much grain you can mash with your partial mash setup. Start with the specialty grains and then the base malt up to the max pounds of grain you can mash. Then convert any remaining base malt to extract (~0.6 lbs of DME per lb of malt or ~0.75 lbs of LME per lb of malt)

Just make sure the total amount of specialty malts do not outweigh the total amour of base malt in your mash. If it does, you should probably pull out some of the specialty malt and steep it as you would when doing an extract batch.

Simple example:
7 lbs pale ale malt
1 lb crystal 40
0.5 lbs wheat malt

For my partial mash setup I can mash 4 lbs of grain, so into my mash goes:
1 lb crystal 40
0.5 lbs wheat malt
2.5 lbs of pale ale malt

I then convert the remaining 4.5 lbs of pale ale malt to 2.7 lbs of extra-light DME.

Best way is to learn the math behind the programs. Then tweak to your system. There are stats for LME and DME fermentability etc.

Back