Problems lowering pH-Gypsum? Amount?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GroosBrewz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all,

I seem to have a pH problem with my mash.. It's always way up in the 6.6 or so range.. I have well water and the natural ph of my well water seems to be about 7.. Anyway, I have tried using gypsum but am unclear on how much to use.. How much gypsum would you guys use to get the pH down to the correct range? An oz? two oz?

thanks!

It's difficult to say without knowledge of your water composition. It is likely your well water has a high residual alkalinity, making it difficult to lower the pH. I would recommend having your water analyzed, building water from distilled water, or using a spring water with a known profile. However, somethings you could try if you want to stick with what you have are:

Using an acid to treat all of your brewing water. How much? I don't know. Maybe around a 1/2 a tsp then test the water. You could get it down to around 6.5, then mash and see how it goes.

Using 5.2 from Five Star may help.

Gypsum may help too, but I don't know how much.

Without knowing your mineral profile it will be trial and error.

Back