emergency recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hercules Rockefeller

Reaction score
OK, guys, it's brew time but UPS hasn't delivered my kit from NB. I don't feel like driving to the LHBS and I'm not waiting around all day for UPS. So I'm going to through something together and I'd like some advice. I'm planning on doing a partial mash and this is what I have:

3 lbs marris otter
1/4 lb crystal 40

6lbs munich LME

1 oz challenger
1 oz fuggle
1 oz Northern brewer
2 oz willamette
1 oz saaz

1 packet S-05

If I had pale LME, I could throw together a passable APA, but I've got munich. I'm never used Munich before so I'm not sure of it's characteristics. any advice?

Munich has a really pleasant maltiness to it. Sounds almost like you could do something similar (but not really) to an Oktoberfest in some of the characteristics. You really don't have the hops for an American APA, but American yeast. And the hops are all over the chart. I'd say shoot for something like a Bitter. Go with the LME, steep the grains, etc. Use the English hops and ferment cool. I am no good for PM recipes, so I call on those who walk this path :).

It should look something like

LME
PM with M/O, and Crystal
Challenger (60)
Fuggle or Willamette (30) Do the majority of your hops as flavor hops
Maybe (5) Willamette

yeah, the more I think about it I might need to head to the LHBS after all. this stuff is pretty random.

$10 says the UPS package is on my doorstep when I get back...

I think you should take a deep breath, sit down, and wait for the kit to arrive.

Sorry to be the one to take the joy out of your brewday, but looking at your inventory I just don't see much that is very compelling. Maybe if you had an English yeast in stock, I'd say go for it. But you don't.

Patience is a virtue in homebrewing. Now is the time to exercise it. In my humble opinion, of course.

Back