Recipe Input

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Axegod

Reaction score
Hello,

I am back after a bit of a lay off (interviewing for a job - and I got it !!!)

I am looking to make a stout -so I naturally thought of a guiness.
I know I can't duplicate the tap/cans with Nitrogen - but thought of taking the guiness recipe outta Clone Brews and adding flaked outmeal to add smoothness and to boost the ABV.
Here is the recipe for 10 gallons - please note that the grain bill is slightly off due to lbs to kg conversion -and not wanting to waste grain (sold by the kg) so I rounded up slightly. SRM, ABV, IBU are pretty close to the recipe.

2 Row: 6kg
Roasted Barley: 2kg,
Flaked barely:
Crystal 30L: 1kg
Flaked Oatmeal: 1kg.

Wyeat 1084, Hops -EK goldings (2 oz)& Target (1 oz) bittering: (IBU about 40)
Can anyone see any problems with the grain bill - or provide any advice on
getting the smoothness by bottling without the nitrogern.

Many Thanks,

Cheers.

The flaked barley amount is blank, but I'll figure it's 1kg.

I would bet 2kg (about 4.4 lbs i believe) is too much. It gives a pretty harsh bitterness. Even when I use 1 lb (about .5 kg) in a batch the bitternes is too harsh.

Those flaked oats and barley make a super syrupy mash. Maybe throw in some rice hulls to keep everything from sticking.

Priming with DME, or a dextrose/DME mix can yield smaller more nitro-like bubbles, but it will take about 3 weeks to carbonate fully and there will be more trub in the bottles.

Back