Help deciding on name for a beer bar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pnc

Reaction score
I am new here but would like to see if I can get some opinions on names for a craft beer bar that I am in the process of planning for. I have narrowed down some choices. Which one do you like from the following? Any other suggestions? Thanks for your help in advance!
Possible names:
Brew Wise
The Grain Bill
Brew Central
Hoppy Thoughts
The Barley Tree
The Barley Corner
:mug:

I think you might want to consider what questions you are not asking yourself that might lead you to a name. I see more and more bar/brewery name threads and I wonder if people aren't asking and/or dreaming enough. What do you want your ambiance to be like? What types of beers in particular will you highlight? Will you serve food? If so what food? What's your demographic? Where will the bar be located? Are you in a city or small town? Does the town or neighborhood have and interesting or clever sounding name? You need to start answering the bigger questions first. Once those are answered, you'll either have a significantly shorter and more unique list to choose from or the name will just fall in your lap.

These all sound like homebrew shops to me. A selection of the best craft beer bars near me all have non-beer related names:

The Tipsy Crow
The Blind Lady
Small Bar
Hamilton's
Tiger!Tiger!
Toronado San Diego
The Regal Beagle
Urge Gastropub

These places are known for their beer, and not something else. Just something to consider.

Wtf is a Barley Tree? :drunk: I agree that it doesn't need to be an obvious beer ingredient reference. I think The Tree is a cooler bar name than The Barley Tree.. it doesn't have to scream beer in the name, it just needs to be a name that people can say "hey man, you want to go to ***** and get a pint?" The one craft beer bar in our small town is called Maggie's Pub, which I think is awesome... "wanna go to Maggie's and get a pint?" kinda rolls off the tongue. Btw, I don't think anyone but homebrewers and serious beer nerds even know what a grain bill is... my 2 cents anyway

I think you might want to consider what questions you are not asking yourself that might lead you to a name. I see more and more bar/brewery name threads and I wonder if people aren't asking and/or dreaming enough. What do you want your ambiance to be like? What types of beers in particular will you highlight? Will you serve food? If so what food? What's your demographic? Where will the bar be located? Are you in a city or small town? Does the town or neighborhood have and interesting or clever sounding name? You need to start answering the bigger questions first. Once those are answered, you'll either have a significantly shorter and more unique list to choose from or the name will just fall in your lap.

Some great advice! What's in a name? If you have the word "corner" in the name, it should be located on a corner. "Barley Tree" sounds like a store in a mall. What sort of decorating theme is planned? If it's decorated like an Irish pub, I think it should have an Irish name, like O'Leary's.

If it's decorated in a generic way, then I think a name like Barley's Pub works well; gives you a lot of leeway on just about everything. Is it a brewpub? Maybe something like "The Taproom" or "Barley's Brewpub." Doesn't have to be Barley's either, something reasonably short & possesive would work well. You could call it "Frank's" or "Dave's" But I don't think long names or difficult to pronounce names like "Weirzbeski's" would work; though if you shortened a tough name like Weirzbeski to something like "Ski's" or "Beski's Brewpub" it could work for you.

I have to agree with spintab: answer those questions & you'll have the name.
Regards, GF.

i like 'Brew Central' - very straightforward and easy to remember.

'The Grain Bill' is cool, but non-brewers might think it is a bulk grain store or even a bakery.

'Brew Wise' - unless this is on Wise Street, this feels like a random combination of words to me.

'Hoppy Thoughts' -- this could work, but to me it suggests you specialize in IPA type beers.

'The Barley Tree' and 'The Barley Corner' - i like both of these very much. Again, people might think bakery or whole grain store.

I am new here but would like to see if I can get some opinions on names for a craft beer bar that I am in the process of planning for. I have narrowed down some choices. Which one do you like from the following? Any other suggestions? Thanks for your help in advance!
Possible names:
Brew Wise
The Grain Bill
Brew Central
Hoppy Thoughts
The Barley Tree
The Barley Corner
:mug:

How about "Grain Bill's Tap Room"?

I like Hoppy Thoughts and Barley Tree Although I agree with other posters it could lead to confusion to the public. You might be better off with using your own name followed by taphouse something like Dave's Taphouse and grill or some such and leaving the clever names for your beers.

Back