Foodsaver

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigHefty

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This place is awesome!!!!! I got a Foodsaver a few years ago with the intention of cooking up a bunch of food and saving it for later. It ended up being too much of a pain in the a$$ and not worth the effort. Well today I was reading through the forums and I see a thread where people were buying bulk hops, dividing them up, and putting them in foodsaver bags. I also saw where people were using mason jars. Well hell.... do I have that mason jar sealer thingy??!?! Sure enough, I get home, try it out on an old mason jar that I keep spare change in and voila'..... sealed right up!!!

I guess it's time to put in an order for some bulk hops!! :rockin:

This place is awesome!!!!! I got a Foodsaver a few years ago with the intention of cooking up a bunch of food and saving it for later. It ended up being too much of a pain in the a$$ and not worth the effort. Well today I was reading through the forums and I see a thread where people were buying bulk hops, dividing them up, and putting them in foodsaver bags. I also saw where people were using mason jars. Well hell.... do I have that mason jar sealer thingy??!?! Sure enough, I get home, try it out on an old mason jar that I keep spare change in and voila'..... sealed right up!!!

I guess it's time to put in an order for some bulk hops!! :rockin:

It's an awesome feeling to have four pounds of hops staring at you when you go to get a scoop of ice cream :)

We buy Sam's Club flour, rice, sugar, etc. and vacuum seal it then it goes into a vacuum sealed SHTF container and we rotate them out. Also canned goods and the like. Never had to use it before but we have several months worth of food encase anything ever happened.

Yup, that would be me! Ordered 6 pounds of hops just for myself, with 26# total on the order. Using foodsaver bags, split into 4oz quantities is very useful especially for these bulk buys. HopsDirect doesn't really vacuum seal the hops, so it's nice to get all the air out before storing them for a few months. Foodsaver rocks! I think the new one is on sale for $120 at Costco right now.

I love my heavy duty foodsaver, and I use it all the time. I mainly buy large cuts of meat at Sam's club and cut them to fit in the seal bags. Soon I will be portioning out hops from a hopsdirect order as well!

Does anyone have an avg volume (in cups) for 1oz of pellet hops?

In addition to all the above mentioned things, I use the Foodsaver to vac-pak clothing & certain supplies for camping/hunting/fishing/etc... The clothing takes up less space in a backpack & everything stays dry thru anything mother nature throws at you. Regards, GF.

In addition to all the above mentioned things, I use the Foodsaver to vac-pak clothing & certain supplies for camping/hunting/fishing/etc... The clothing takes up less space in a backpack & everything stays dry thru anything mother nature throws at you. Regards, GF.

A few years ago my wife found some clothing storage bags that were like a vacuum zip-top bag. You'd put clothing, towels, or something else compressible in the bag and zip it shut, then sit on it or roll it up. A small one-way valve would let the air out, but it couldn't flow back in so the bag stayed flat. I managed to fit a week's worth of work clothes into a carry-on bag for a trip to Ireland using those.

The nice thing about traveling with them is they're reusable, so they still work for the trip home too.

Dave

Back