Batch #1 in the fermentor and doing well

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DemonEagle

Reaction score
Sunday (yesterday) was my very first brew day, ever. I jumped right into the deep end of the home brewing pool by starting with the all grain brewing method.

I brewed a Dry Irish Stout kit from Northern Brewer and I’m happy to report a mostly un-eventful day. The only issues were, having a boil over with the first attempt at the yeast starter and pouring the stir plate magnet into the fermentor when pitching the yeast (it’s still in there).

I hit all of my temps and gravities almost perfectly. More luck then skill I’m sure.

I started heating strike water at 8:50 in the morning and was pitching yeast at about 1:45 in the afternoon. Add to that about 1-1.5hrs of setup before and cleanup after and it made for a long day but once I saw activity in the fermentor it made it all worth while.

I saw the first activity about 6hrs after pitching. This morning the fermentation looked great. It’s funny how satisfying something so simple can be.

Now I just can’t wait to drink it.

I’d like to say thank you to all of the contributing members of this forum. I've been lurking for a while learning as much as I can and I’m sure it really helped to prepare me for my first brew day.

I'll be doing the Tallgrass Velvet Rooster Pro Series kit this weekend....and the obsession begins.

Pics from the day....

8358390480_bb99edbe4c.jpg

8358408994_1ca641182c.jpg

8357355141_8c0edee4ce.jpg

8357361279_6c2c26987a.jpg

8357385459_ed107aa387.jpg

First brew, all grain, hit your temps and volumes, and used a yeast starter?! You are lightyears ahead of your average first time brewer my friend. Nicely done!

Don't sweat the yeast starter volcano. Anyone (like me) who uses an erlenmeyer to boil in will have a story (or 10) about doing the same thing.

Enjoy your beer, and keep it up! It's all about repetition and establishing your pipeline.

Back