Pickle jars for washed yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewinHooligan

Reaction score
Does anyone use pickle jars for storing their washed yeast? I am trying to build up my supply of jars, but the most recent jar I've tried cleaning and soaking in Oxyclean still has a strong pickle smell in the lid and am curious if that will be ok for storing washed yeast or if I should chuck it in the recycle bin?

Pretty tough to get that out. I tried to use pickle buckets from a school kitchen and really just never could get the plastic to give up the smell. I think in jars the lids might harbor more pickle smell. Mason jars are cheap and easy to find (small ones with jam in them). You might succeed, but I think you could find a safer bet personally.

Try soaking in a warm water and baking powder solution. It will nuetralize most odors.

The plastic or rubber sealing surface may well hold that smell. I've had some success in the past with soaking them in a dilute bleach solution for days or weeks. I think it was 1/2 cup in 5 gallons, but I'm not sure, as I haven't bothered in a while. Quart Mason jars are less than $1 each at my nearby Menards routinely, and pint jars are less. I haven't shopped around or watched for a sale to try to beat that. Of course, you may eventually need to replace their lids, but those are cheap as well. I just use those.

This^

I was recycling sauce jars but recently switched to the canning jars to save fridge space. A dozen 4oz jars (available at most grocery stores) with lids and rings....$7.00. I get the 16oz ones to store bulk hops in.

I use gallon pickle jars and lids to make all my starters in. Eventually the smell will go away. Until then, still no problem.

Lots of good ideas here! I tried Oxyclean with no luck, I will try the baking powder and the bleach. If that doesn't work I will break down and buy some jars, but things have been tight and I would rather direct money to ingredients if possible.

I have one that I use for yeast. Also have one that used to hold pickled hot peppers. Just soaked it in an oxy solution and sent it through the dish washer 3 or 4 times. Eventually no smell.

Back