forgot the whirlfloc - now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BK_856er

Reaction score
Somehow I managed to forget the whirlfoc tablet.

I pitched a strater ~18hrs ago and fermentation is now going strong.

This is an extract/crystal Shark Bite Red with OG 1.068.

At this point what's the best way to recover from the lack of whirlfoc in the boil? I see a few different fining agents that can be added during or after fermentation, but I'm not experienced with any of them....

BK

There are several that can be added when racking to secondary, but it will taste the same and I don't think it would be worth the effort with an amber or darker beer.

If you are patience enough, just let it sit in primary an extra couple weeks. If it still isn't clear enough for you, cold crash it. Should clear right up.

Bah, I forget the whirlfloc about one out of every three beers I brew. You can use gelatin in secondary or keg, but I've found that I always get a little haze unless you let it lager at near 32F for a really long time.

Still tastes great either way!

Thanks, guys. I feel better now. I'll see how well it clears in the primary over time and go from there.

BK

I just forgot the whirlfloc in my most recent brew. I'm just gonna let it go and worst case it will be a little cloudy.

kpr121 said:
Bah, I forget the whirlfloc about one out of every three beers I brew. You can use gelatin in secondary or keg, but I've found that I always get a little haze unless you let it lager at near 32F for a really long time.

Still tastes great either way!

Ditto to all of the above

Ya, I was playing again. Whirlfloc is one of those things you don't need. Ha!

i almost never use whirlfloc. i have it all the time, but since i like to cold-crash for flavor anyway, it's pretty much useless

I have never used whirlfoc. Barring specific grains and brewer error, time will clarify beer. Consider this your first non-whirfoc beer and see how it compares to the ones you've clarified. This is an opportunity to learn something new.

Retrofit said:
I have never used whirlfoc. Barring specific grains and brewer error, time will clarify beer. Consider this your first non-whirfoc beer and see how it compares to the ones you've clarified. This is an opportunity to learn something new.

Yes, good man. Thank you

Latest posts

Back