First mead try, quick question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smackythefrog

Reaction score
I have a strawberry melomel kit from AHS and I'm getting to the point in the instructions to stabilize and clarify. It states that after adding potassium metabisulphite and potassium sorbate that I should "de gass the mead for two minutes". What exactly is "de gass" I want to assume that I just let it sit uncovered but I don't want to take anything for granted.

No that will not degas your mead but instead leave it open to infection. Degasing has to do with removing the remaining CO2 from solution.

One option is explained here and is cheap: Degaser

Wow! That is exactly why I ask question before I do anything I'm unsure about. I have no problem with waiting so it's not a big deal. I'll just set the clarifying agents aside. Thanks for the help.

The "degassing" that the instructions call for is a means of driving off excess CO2 by whipping or vigorously stirring the must. While the introduction of oxygen into the must at an early stage helps fermentation a lot of us think that this can cause oxidation in your mead at this stage of the process. Bulk aging will do the same thing. Be sure to top off your secondary.

if you rack it to another carboy and add a air lock and shake it once or twice a day for a week will this help with degassing while not alowing oxygen to get in to the mead?

I'm with these guys in the "don't muck with it - time will do everything for you" camp.

I've finally got myself to let things age without trying to mess with it. Got a mead from June still in the carboy that's not clearing. I gave "time" it's due - now it's time to play with chemicals..but I wouldn't try messing with it until it's had time to do it's job.

Back