Whole hops usage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cweston

Reaction score
What techniques do folks here use for utilizing whole hops in the boil?

Hops bag? Just throw them in and siphon under them? Other?

I've been a pellet person but I have some whole hops on the way.

What about dry hopping? I'm guessing a bag would work best for that?

cweston said:
What techniques do folks here use for utilizing whole hops in the boil?

Hops bag? Just throw them in and siphon under them? Other?

I've been a pellet person but I have some whole hops on the way.

What about dry hopping? I'm guessing a bag would work best for that?

I've bagged the hops for some batches.
I've let them float freely for others.
I've siphoned to avoid pulling free-floaters into the fermenter.
I've filtered to avoid pulling free-floaters them into the fermenter.
Sometimes I even just pour it carefully and don't care if the hops get into the primary.

For dry-hopping... I have neer used a bag. Just threw them in and let them float at the top. Other people put them in a weighted bag to keep them submerged.

I have never decided on whether I think any method is better than the other. I just do whatever I feel like while brewing. :) The only thing to note is that using a bag cuts down on the utilization, so boil them longer or use a little more if bagging.

-walker

I just toss them in, boil or dry hopping. I started by using bags, but decided that only worked for low hopping rates.

Just throw them in and let all the goodness comeout, you can deal with the remains later. They will really help in making an clear beer along the way!!!!!

Throw them in so the boil can do its magic. I also throw them in when dry hopping, throw them in in the hop back. I guess I just like to throw hops.

Brewpastor said:
Throw them in so the boil can do its magic. I also throw them in when dry hopping, throw them in in the hop back. I guess I just like to throw hops.
Man, I can't believe I didn't think of having hops thrown instead of rice at my wedding. That would have been pretty cool, and everybody would have smelled good (not that they didn't, but better).

Back