Splitting batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abefromann

Reaction score
So I have been doing all grain for a handful of brews now, and would like to start doing 10 gallon batches. My mash ton has plenty of room for this, but my kettle does not.

Would I run into any serious problems mashing for 10 gallon batches, but doing 2 boils consecutively, with the remaining half of the wort in a bucket to be boiled?

I wouldn't think so except that you could very easily come out with two totally different beers....if you collect the first runnings in the boil kettle then the sparge runnings in the bucket for the second boil there will be a significant difference in the gravity of the 2 batches... You need some way to mix it all then split it back up for the boil.

Yeah I was thinking I'm just mixing to make one beer, or just making two different beers with one mash. The only real issue I was concerned about was oxidation.

As long as you put them both in the same fermenter, you should be OK but as OhioSteve mentioned, there will be a dramatic difference in gravity from the first runnings to the last.

So having pre-boil wort Sitting around won't cause problems with oxidation or aeration.?

So having pre-boil wort Sitting around won't cause problems with oxidation or aeration.?

I would think good sanitation and a good boil wouild solve it all anyway...lots of people doing no chill brewing and leaving wort setting overnight to cool AFTER the boil even.. again your sanitation needs to be spot on.

Back