Oktobersomething--what would you call this and what do you think?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wordsmith

Reaction score
I have two goals with this next brew 1) to make something like an Oktoberfest and 2) to use some ingredients I already have, which I recognize will take it somewhat away from true Oktoberfest style. I like it a bit hoppier than style too, so there's that. Here goes:

6.6lbs Munich LME
2.2lbs light DME

For mini mash:
8oz Crystal 120 (I already have this)
8oz Vienna (have this too)

1oz Tettnang at 60
1oz Hallertau at 30
1oz Hallertau at 5

I have some US-05 that I'm very comfortable with, but am interested in trying Saflager 34/70 for what would be my first lager after 20ish brews. I'm undecided on the yeast.

Any suggestions, corrections, additions, subtractions, etc.? The only things I'm stuck on are the mini-mash/steeping grains and the desire to make something similar to an Oktoberfest. I don't really care if it's accurate to style or not, as long as it's good.

What's the estimated gravity and the IBUs?

Personally, I don't think you have a bad recipe, but I would replace the Crystal 120 with Munich malt. Dark fruit flavors from the Crystal 120 are considered a flaw in Oktoberfests. I know you're not too concerned with style, but I think you'll better accomplish your goals of an Oktoberfest with the Munich. Munich will add the classic bready/toasty flavor found in Oktobers and lend itself to a smoother, less sweet, German lager.

As for the yeast, I like the White Labs German Bock Lager strain (WLP833). If you have the ability to keep fermentation around 50F, I would recommend a lager strain.

As to what to call it, since it's not true to style and it appears you will using ale yeast, thus not a true lager, how about Mocktoberfest? :D

If you're starting a lager now, maybe you ought to call it a Novemberfest :D

This is a good point. Ale yeast it is. I think I can lager without much trouble, but I'll try it on something else.

The real reason I'm stuck with the 120L is that it's already mixed with the Vienna. It's leftovers from a killer IPA that I intended to use to make another killer IPA. Maybe I'm being too cheap.

Back