Tubing size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Fever

Reaction score
I'm putting together the final touches on my kegging system and everything I have read said 3/16 tubing is the best for the liquid out. However, when I try and attach the 3/16 tubing to the liquid disconnect it seems that the barb is too big for the tube. I mean I really tried forcing it in there even after heating the tube. I've only seen one size of disconnect for the liquid out so how do I connect the tubing. Do I just try harder? Do I need some sort of lube? (Yes, I am still talking about kegging!;))

Thanks for any help,
Chris

Dr. Fever said:
I'm putting together the final touches on my kegging system and everything I have read said 3/16 tubing is the best for the liquid out. However, when I try and attach the 3/16 tubing to the liquid disconnect it seems that the barb is too big for the tube. I mean I really tried forcing it in there even after heating the tube. I've only seen one size of disconnect for the liquid out so how do I connect the tubing. Do I just try harder? Do I need some sort of lube? (Yes, I am still talking about kegging!;))

Thanks for any help,
Chris

That's the right stuff. Boil some water and stick the end of the tubing in teh boiling water for abut 10 seconds. It'll go on then, guaranteed.

Chris, take your barb to Lowe's plumbing aisle. Food grade plastic tubing is cheap, like $4 for 20 feet. You probably want 1/2" OD-3/8" ID tubing. Tubing should fit snugly over the barb but shouldn't require K-Y Jelly to get it on.
Jeff

Thanks for your help...the boiling worked! I guess "hot" water isn't hot enough. It was a struggle though so next time I'll probably take Boston's advice and go with a slightly wider ID and just adjust the length.

I will now have it carbonated in time for the Super Bowl!

Thanks again.

Dr. Fever said:
Thanks for your help...the boiling worked! I guess "hot" water isn't hot enough. It was a struggle though so next time I'll probably take Boston's advice and go with a slightly wider ID and just adjust the length.

I will now have it carbonated in time for the Super Bowl!

Thanks again.

Just a heads up on that suggestion--you MIGHT have foaming issues if you use a different ID hose for liquid out. Every system is different, so maybe not too.

Oh, and by the way, when attaching the liquid disconnect to a keg that is already pressurized, make sure the tube with the spigot is attached or you will have a beer cannon! At least I was outside....

Sometime the brain just doesn't fire on all cylinders!

Latest posts

Back