leak in fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monty420th

Reaction score
Okay all, I am sure this has been covered so I am sorry

I am on about my 10 batch right now and I hadn't had any problems before this

I borrowed a friends bucket fermenter because I started really getting into brewing (still am) and I needed another one without going back to the store. when I pitched the yeast all was well in the world.

1.5 days later I still didn't see any activity so I pressed down on the lid, heard a hiss (great, I have a leak). took the top off did the smell test (which is almost like a stupid dare you make with yourself), it was def CO2.

Re-attached the lid and activity was present, it was rocking for another couple of hours then stopped. It has been sitting there since Friday morning without activity.

Normally I would not be worried however this beer is supposed to be 9.9% Alcohol which has me a little worried everything hasn't converted properly.

I have not taken a gravity reading to see where it is at, but my question is, because I had a leak, should I get another carboy and transfer it to that secondary then re-pitch another yeast on top of it?

again, sorry if it has been asked before but I appreciate any help on this, thanks

Nope, you should take a gravity reading to see if you've hit your FG reading. Even still, you should probably let it sit for 3+ weeks in the primary.

Look up 'open fermentation'. Thinks don't need to be in a sealed environment in order to ferment out. People have been fermenting in open vats for thousands of years.

^ true, but you don't need to worry about this being an open fermentation, it isn't. Bucket lids leak - all the time. Absolutely nothing to worry about. By "activity" I assume you mean your airlock - don't pay any attention to it. Follow the advice above, after 3 weeks or so start taking hydrometer readings and see where it's at.

yeah I was going to let this sit in the primary for 3 weeks originally, just didn't know if having a possible leak in the lid was going to cause complications or not. thanks for the advice

Back