picked up hop rhizomes - no buds

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HBC

Reaction score
I picked up Rhizomes today from my LHBS. I paid a whopping $0.00 -- therefore, cannot complain! The rhizomes are cascade and have been kept healthy since dug up two days ago (damp and cool in the fridge).

I see a very few roots, but no buds whatsoever. I do see a few spots that might be bud eyes, but most sections (I have 20-sections) are somewhat free from anything that resembles buds or roots.

How would you proceed? I am fine planting in containers and re-transplanting if that is what it takes.

Stick 'em in the ground and watch 'em grow. Not all rhizomes have BIG buds. Many are not developed but will do fine as long as you don't overwater them. You'll be fine.

Thanks all! I suspected that my buddy at the LHBS knew what he was doing when he gave them to me.

I will plant them horizontally, which should help since I cannot tell the up from the down!

Back