Smoke and Chile Advice Needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djonas

Reaction score
Hi, my next plan is to blend a smoked porter base with some chile peppers in order to make a robust, smokey and spicy beer. In general I am having trouble finding information that blends the two so I was hoping somebody could shed some light on this matter. Thank you in advance.

A major thing that I am curious about is good chile peppers for both flavor and heat. Another thing is the smokiness levels of the Briess malt. Finally, I was also considering adding some chocolate to the beer but was wondering if it would make the flavor overly complicated. Here's the recipe I was kicking around.

Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.019
Original Gravity: 1.074
Final Gravity: 1.018
ABV: 7.5%
IBU: 48
Color: 39 SRM

[Single Step Infusion @ 154 F, Rest for 60 min]
2.25 lb Briess Smoked Malt (21.0%)
0.75 lb US Chocolate Malt (7.0%)
0.60 lb Caramel 60 (5.6%)
0.60 lb Caramel 80 (5.6%)
0.50 lb Black Patent Malt (4.7%)

6.00 lb Pilsen DME (56.1%)

1.00 oz Magnum (14.4%) @ 60 min

~ 4 Chipotle Peppers in secondary
~ 1 Arbol Pepper in secondary

I will add yeast nutrients and pitch a good amount of Safale US-05 yeast and ferment at about 67 F.

12 oz. (.75 lb) of chipotle is WAY to much please tell me you meant ounces. I would hesitate to use more than a couple of they're the chipotle seco (the brown ones) or more than four if they're moritas (the reddish black ones). Chipotle in adobo would deffinately fall apart because those little things are pretty soggy out of the can but they're easiest to get a hold of. You'd probably be good with 4 of those as well. You don't need to get to much smoke from them because you already have the smoked malt and it will be impossible to tell the difference in the beer between smoked malt and smoked peppers. I would leave out the arbol and maybe, maybe, use an ancho or two (they'll be labeled as pasilla at the store most likely) because they're sweet and a little raisiny. You could use cocoa or something but I suspect you'd have a "mole" ale by the time you got done...

Thanks for the reply, friend. I suppose 0.75 lb would be a bit much; I actually haven't seen a fresh Chipotle pepper in a while since I am not a fan of canned fruits or vegetables. I'll dial it down per your recommendation. I do recall that Chipotles aren't the spiciest of peppers but I grew up eating raw peppers as a child so that was my reasoning behind the Arbol peppers. A bit of an extra kick. Oh and mole did cross my mind when I thought about chocolate but I was just going to add a bit as an attempt to create a smooth transition of flavors between the smoke, roast and heat. Thanks again!

I recently made a peat smoked chilli porter as the small beer in a mini partigyle (with a peat smoked IIPA as the big beer, and the mash topped off with some black malt.)

I used three dried cascabel chillis (5g ~0.2oz) in 5L (~1.25 gal.) Boiled them up with a little water into a tea, then poured the lot into the fermenter once primary fermentation was done.

Cascabels aren't the hottest chillis, but I get only the tiniest hint of heat and chilli flavour out of this beer. If I were to do it again I'd add at least 2-3 times more dried chilli.

Thanks for the input oswiu; this is most helpful!

Back