Help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petie

Reaction score
I made a mr beer recipe of cowboy honey wheat with a packet of booster. I used the3-2-2 method and then put them in the fridge.
This is the worst stuff I've ever tasted. Tastes like honey medicine. It's bad. It was kept at 70 degrees all the way through the process. Then I refrigerated them a couple days and popped the top on one today. Nasty. I took all of the out of the fridge and put them back in the 70* dark room. Will my yeast start back up? Oh yeah I primed each bottle with a needle less syringe using one tsp of honey. Help! I don't want to have to dump it.

What was the recipe? How much honey did you add? Too many additions can throw the balance of your brew off.

Medicinal sounds like it needs some serious aging. I'd throw them in the back of a room temperature closet and forget about them for a few months- preferably inside a plastic container to catch drips in case it didn't finish fermenting (your mention of so much honey flavor leads me to believe there may be more residual sweetness than intended, so they might ferment out a few more points, which can lead to overcarbing, and possibly bursting, which can make a mess)

70*F is a little on the hot side even for an ale. Usually mid 60's is a better target for primary fermenting. Bottle conditioning should be at 70, but primary is better around 65-ish.

I did exactly as the recipe said other than the bottle priming. I primed with 1 tsp of honey instead of 1 tsp of sugar. I'm gonna let em sit in the dark room for a long time. My dark room is a room where I keep my knife making materials stored all summer. It stays between 65*-75* all summer. Usually closer to the 65-70 mark. I just hope my yeast wakes up and does its job.

petie said:
I did exactly as the recipe said other than the bottle priming. I primed with 1 tsp of honey instead of 1 tsp of sugar. I'm gonna let em sit in the dark room for a long time. My dark room is a room where I keep my knife making materials stored all summer. It stays between 65*-75* all summer. Usually closer to the 65-70 mark. I just hope my yeast wakes up and does its job.

The yeast will definitely wake up and carbonate and the beer sounds like it just needs more time but your priming amounts per bottle
Sound high, my concern is bottle bombs so I would place them all in a sealed container of sorts so you avoid any dangerous issues and minimize any mess

duboman said:
The yeast will definitely wake up and carbonate and the beer sounds like it just needs more time but your priming amounts per bottle
Sound high, my concern is bottle bombs so I would place them all in a sealed container of sorts so you avoid any dangerous issues and minimize any mess
As its a Mr. Beer, he's probably using their 1L plastics, not 12 oz glass, so the priming amount is far more reasonable.

help.jpg

Their glass bottles. Theyre in a spot where they won't hurt a thing if they blow.

Back