Bottled First Batch....tastes kinda funny

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cackxt

Reaction score
So my wife and I bottled our first batch, an American Wheat. We primaried (sp?) for 9 days b/c fermentation lasted 6. Then we racked to a secondary for 7.5 days. After the primary fementation all tasted well. Then once we began the bottling we took a sample for a hydrometer reading (1.013) and gave it a taste. All I can say is that it has a real dry, flat (obviously), not astringent, but definitely alcohol taste to it.

We have been using the basement for fermentation as this is the only cool portion of our home. We also wrapped the vessel in a towel to avoid any light. Temps could range from 68F to 74F, and swing within that range throughout the primary and seconday phases. My question, could the temperature swings have affected the taste or could the beer have been sitting too long with the trub imparting off flavoring?

It is really hard to describe the flavor, but we both agreed that it did not taste as good after secondary fementation as our tasting after primary fementation. What are your opinions?

As always, the help we receive here is greatly appreciated!!!

We really aren't that worried about it, as it has been a fun process. I'm pretty lucky to have a lady who likes to brew!

I agree, early tasting is a sure way to make yourself worry. A couple of weeks in the bottle and your hefe will taste great, guaranteed. This is especially true for hefes which taste absolutely rancid early. The trub doesn't impart flavours unless you leave it for months.

I just got back from the LHBS (My Home Brew Shop), and the owner said the same thing. However, I brewed on premise with him a while back using virtually the same recipe and it didn't taste the same. Most likely the difference between his AG and my extract version, but it is what it is. I'm relaxing with my Widmer as we speak, wish it were my HB. Thanks.

Tasting through the process is always a good idea cause you get a feeling to how your beer taste at diffeent stages... but remember... you are tasting THROUGH a process. Not only will it taste better with some age, but at the point you are tasting it the process is not even over yet.

Back