should I add yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dahray02

Reaction score
Long story short, this is my first brew, a partial mash with this recipe:
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_452_43_255&products_id=10433

i went into the store yesterday to pick up something i needed and ended up talking to the dude that sold me my homebrew kit. I told him my first batch is in the 1st fermentation bucket and i'm going to leave it there for 2 weeks then move it to a glass carboy for another 2 weeks then bottle. He then said i should add some dry yeast to it before bottling because most of the yeast will settle out with 4 weeks of fermentation....should i follow his instructions?? or is 4 weeks fermentation too long? thanks in advanced

I think you are fine as is. 4 weeks is not that long in the grand scheme of things. I have bottled after 2 months in the secondary and have been fine. On the other hand dry yeast is dirt cheap so if you want to be on the safe side go ahead. Do you have a hydrometer? If so make good use of it, you don't want bottle bombs.

yeah i have a hydrometer...so as long as i hit the final gravity that the recipe called for i should be fine for avoiding bottle bombs right

You don't need to add more yeast. At any given time towards the end of a primary fermentation, there are literally hundreds of millions of yeast in your fermentor. When you rack to your bottling bucket and bottle, you still have tens of millions of yeast in suspension, even when most of them are left behind on the yeast cake. Once you add your priming sugar to the bottled solutions, you now still have millions of yeast in each bottle, which will then multiply once they start eating the priming sugar and producing your CO2 carbonation.

Unless you are coming out of a stuck fermentation or some other type of fermentation issue, you do not need to add extra yeast.

I've only added a packet of dry yeast 3 days before bottling for my beers above 10%. other than that. I've never added more than the original amount

Latest posts

Back