Drastic Drop in Efficiency...?????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mthelm85

Reaction score
Here's the deal:

I mash for 1 hour, no mashout, I use 5.2 stabilizer, I batch sparge in 2 equal amounts and I consistently average 85% lauter/sparge efficiency.

Today I brewed a Dubbel and I only got 68% efficiency. I used a malt, Franco-Belges Pilsen, that I have never used before as my base malt, and I didn't preheat my mash tun well enough because my mash temp went from 152 at the start all the way down to 145 at the end. It normally only drops 3 degrees or so.

Speculate with me fellas - what could be the culprit? The Franco-Belges Pilsen, drop in mash temp., a combination of both? I don't think the drop in mash temp should even affect efficiency, just fermentability of the wort, but I'm not an expert so I can't be 100% sure.

I get them already crushed from Northern Brewer, I didn't really notice much of a difference though.

Malticulous said:
Temp can effect conversion and that will effect BHE. I suspect this is just a bigger grain bill than your used to.

No, I've done 15 lbs. before, this one was 10.875 lbs......how would the size of the grain bill affect efficiency?

The biggest contributor to a drop like you experienced is in the grind. Although the grain may have looked the same I would bet on some minor changes in the mill gap at the supplier since the last time you brewed. I could be wrong but....
mark
www.backyardbrewer.blogspot.com

The biggest contributor to a drop like you experienced is in the grind. Although the grain may have looked the same I would bet on some minor changes in the mill gap at the supplier since the last time you brewed. I could be wrong but....
mark
www.backyardbrewer.blogspot.com

Yeah, and to be honest I didn't even look that closely or anything. I always order everything from Northern Brewer and have never had any issues so I really wasn't paying attention to the crush. Oh well, I guess the bright side is I don't have to worry about it finishing where I want it to.

Back