Help with adjunct/specialty partial mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aeviaanah

Reaction score
I'm brewing an american pilsner tomorrow and need help with the mash procedure. Here is the grist

6lb Pilsner LME
1lb flaked corn
1lb rice
1lb aromatic malt (munich)
4oz carapils

Ive never partial mashed with adjuncts and specialty grains. How should I approach this?

I don't know if Aromatic malt has enough enzymes to convert the rice and corn, you should really partial mash with a base grain. For your recipe, I would use a Pilsner malt base. You need enough enzymes to convert the starches in the aromatic, corn, and rice to sugars.

Can you sub part of the pilsner extract for pils malt?

I don't know if Aromatic malt has enough enzymes to convert the rice and corn, you should really partial mash with a base grain. For your recipe, I would use a Pilsner malt base. You need enough enzymes to convert the starches in the aromatic, corn, and rice to sugars.

all of my ingredients are purchased and i can only brew tomorrow. LHBS is closed tomorrow.
i have amylase enzyme. will this help?

Aromatic malt generally can convert itself (depending on brand), but it doesn't have enough diastastic power to convert adjuncts. I agree that this recipe needs base malt, or won't convert fully.

The rice should either be Minute rice, flaked rice, or fully cooked before using. A cereal mash would work great.

Aromatic malt generally can convert itself (depending on brand), but it doesn't have enough diastastic power to convert adjuncts. I agree that this recipe needs base malt, or won't convert fully.

The rice should either be Minute rice, flaked rice, or fully cooked before using. A cereal mash would work great.

Aromatic malt is from Briess. Would using amylase enzyme do the trick?

On a side note, whats the difference between Aromatic malt and munich malt?

I mashed BIAB 1.25 qt/lb at 156 for 60minutes and got 75% efficiency. I supplemented 1/2 tsp/gal amylase enzyme. Mashed out at 180F.

Back