Small Partial Mash with Distilled Water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J2W2

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm going to try Northern Brewer's Legend of Lutra extract kit for my next beer. It uses Omega's OYL-071 Lutra Kveik to create a lager style ale. The extract kit includes 3.15 lb Pilsen LME and 3 lb Golden Light LME, as well as 0.5 lb Caramel 10L. Since it's a light extract beer, I was going to brew with distilled water.

Instead of just steeping the Caramel malt, I was thinking about throwing in 0.5 lb two-row and 1.5 oz flaked rice (to match the all-grain version of this beer) and doing a small partial mash. Is there any reason, other than a little loss of efficiency, to not just use 1.5 quarts of distilled water for the partial mash?

Thanks for your help!

Two row is not going to fully convert three times its own weight in unmalted adjuncts. With distilled water your mash PH is going to be a bit on the high end making things even worse.

Two row is not going to fully convert three times its own weight in unmalted adjuncts. With distilled water your mash PH is going to be a bit on the high end making things even worse.
Wouldn't 8 oz of two row, 8 oz Crystal 10L and 1.5 oz flaked rice be close to a 1:1 ratio? I could bump the two row to 9.5 oz for a true 1:1. I know the mash PH won't be perfect with distilled water; that's why I was asking.

Put the mash in a preheated oven to help with temperature control.

If I did the data entry correctly, Brewers Friend estimates mash pH at 5.5 without minerals or other adjustments. It looks like 0.5 (1/2) oz of aciduated malt will drop the ph to around 5.3.

Methinks Vale71 missed the change from pounds to ounces mid-recipe :)
Anyway, the micro-mash should be fine - pilsner malt typically has the highest lintner of base malts and should do ok against the other 10.5 ounces of grain...

Cheers!

Methinks Vale71 missed the change from pounds to ounces mid-recipe :)
Anyway, the micro-mash should be fine - pilsner malt typically has the highest lintner of base malts and should do ok against the other 10.5 ounces of grain...

That's what I was thinking - just wanted to double-check.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back