Really Noob Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EamusCatuli

Reaction score
I want to check and see if my recent PM batch has fermented at all, because if it has I missed it. I can take a hydro reading in the primary correct? ( so long as I sanitize the hydro, of course)

You sure can. If I need to take a reading before racking to secondary I used a turkey baster to pull out a sample into a flask and take a hydrometer reading from that.

I want to check and see if my recent PM batch has fermented at all, because if it has I missed it. I can take a hydro reading in the primary correct? ( so long as I sanitize the hydro, of course)

Do you mean putting the hydrometer into the primary fermenter instead of drawing a sample? This can be done but make sure you have thoroughly sanitized the hydro before setting it in there. Don't forget to wash and sanitize your hands as well.

Do you mean putting the hydrometer into the primary fermenter instead of drawing a sample? This can be done but make sure you have thoroughly sanitized the hydro before setting it in there. Don't forget to wash and sanitize your hands as well.

Yeah and make sure you're fermenting in buckets or good luck getting the hydro out...

I've heard of people Krazy-Gluing a piece of thread onto the tip of the hydro scale so they can gently lower the hydro into a carboy and remove it once readings are taken. I've never tried it myself, though.

Back