What are these used for

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, better than hop pellets - all the flavor and no hops screens! I do not know how much hop extract you would need for a 5 gallon batch. It would be fun to try the canned extract. It is $21 for a 3 oz can of pure hop oils.

Supercritical CO2 Nifty! Take CO2 up to 1200psi and 100F, and it is just barely in the range of a supercritical fluid.

Here is a concise and understandable demonstration of the supercritical process done by a person in his home machine shop:

Watch when he shakes the acrylic vessel and the liquid and gaseous CO2 mixes to create ... something bizzare ... it's supercritical!

Here he extracts caffeine from green coffee beans

This is a commercial sized process with a 65 ton vessel, extracting caffeine from dried tea:

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, a little more info how to use it:

"Hop Oil is used to produce the same effect as dry hopping. Hop Oil imparts only a fresh hop aroma to the beer, no bitterness or "late hop character". ... Simply add 1 teaspoon to five gallons of beer for each part-per-million (ppm) of hop oil you want in the beer. Typical rates are between 1 and 3 ppm. Supplied in 2 oz. bottles with a convenient dispensing cap, enough for 30 gallons of beer at 2 ppm. "
http://www.hoptech.com/collections/hop-oils-extracts

That one guy has a little too much time on his hands, but wish I had his shop. Like to know what hops they use to make the cans.

I visited a small brewery in Germany and next to the boiler they had a bucket of hop pellets (Tradition). There was also the contents of a can of hop extract sitting in the middle of the bucket. Stupid me reached down and tried to pick it up. Der.

2011-11-14_20_01_09-51445.jpg

2011-11-14_20_03_33-51446.jpg

Basically the converse of a HopShot (which is bittering extract). Not sure how I feel about using extracts in home-brewing when doing the same with normal hops is pretty simple, but I've seen the guy at MadFermentationist use HopShots before.

It would be nice to know what variety hops it was extracted from. Some would probably scoff at it and consider it cheating. I'd love to go from primary to keg without having to wait on a dry hop to settle out.

Back