Milk stout with high FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenpotf

Reaction score
I brewed a milk stout last week and the OG was at 1.056. I measured today and it's at 1.022. I've read that milk stouts can finalize higher than other types of beers (I brewed an IPA that finalized at 1.002). I'm going to keg this next Sunday and I'll do another measurement before then, but I wanted to make sure that this isn't considered a stuck fermentation. I tasted it and it tastes good, but my calculations are showing that it's a very low alcohol beer; around 4.6%. Beersmith is showing that it should have dropped to 1.010. Is it possible that it still isn't done? I use buckets for fermenting and I had a decent amount of krausen at the top still, so I'm not sure if this thing is done or if I need to try to revive it somehow.

Thanks!

I would be very shocked if a milk stout finished at 1.010- a pound of lactose would raise the FG about .009 in 5 gallons of beer. If you also used crystal malt and mashed at a high-ish mash temperature, 1.022 would be about what I would expect in a milk stout that started at 1.056 or so.

Thanks Yooper...I'm surprised that my alcohol content isn't higher, but then again I could just consider it a session beer I guess :) That's exactly what I did too. I used 1lb of lactose in the boil and crystal 60 in the mash. The cigarette taste went away btw.

Latest posts

Back