Carboy blew out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZZander

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone else has ever had this happen? I purchased a new 6 gallon carboy produced by Vintner's harvest. Just as my carboy was filled with 4 gallons of home pressed cider and 10 lbs of honey a hole popped in the bottom of the wall of the carboy. The glass was saran wrap thin where it "popped". Granted Earlier today i had this carboy full of onestep sanitizer and warm water getting ready to brew. So i'm not sure why it broke with honey and cider and not sanitizer. BTW the cider and honey were not hot, the cider had been pasteurized and canned into 1 qt jars, i had just transferred it all into my carboy.

I'd take the carboy back to the shop you bought it from and show them what happened along with the shards of glass. If you bought it online, send them some pictures and see if they will send you a new one. I'd be pretty pissed if that happened to me. 10 pounds of honey probably cost you way more than that carboy.

The honey loss did suck, even worse than that was the clean-up. Ten lbs of honey and 4 gals of cider is not fun to clean.

With glass, there's never any certainty. It could be something as stupid as a draught hitting a thin point during manufacture, creating the stresses that popped with the liquid weight in it.

I've had gallon size jars crack when washing or sanitising, luckily, never with must in them....

Clearly this was a bizarre, likely one-off manufacturing defect, but it's just another reason why I will eventually replace all my glass carboys with Better Bottles...

Back