Worst Commercial Beer You've Ever Had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
joindate.jpg
I joined today.

My mind is blown.

Worst Commercial Beer You Have Ever Had?

Worst commercial beer I've ever had:

By far "Buffalo Sweat Stout" (on tap) by Tallgrass Brewing Company and I'm a stout drinker.

My friend and I sent ours back after drinking 1/2 a pint and quickly ordered a fresh pint of Guinness. :mug:

So what says you.......whats your vote for worst commercial beer you've tasted???????

Pilsner Urquell by far worst beer i ever tasted, ill stick to my black beers lol

Worst commercial stuff -

#1 Corona Extra . . nasty stuff that not even a lime can fix. I can stomach the light stuff if I have to . . .
#2 Milwaukee's Best . . Milwaukee's worst (I certainly hope this isn't their best!) This was actually the first beer I tried as a kid, and the reason why I wouldn't touch beer until college. Over carbonated crap in a can. Yuck
#3 Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale. Probably not a fault of Smuttynose, maybe I just can't stand the style? I was hoping for pumpkin pie in a bottle, but I was drinking bitter spices. Could I achieve pumpkin pie? I hope so!
#4 Ommegang Abbey Ale. Probably again, because I'm just not a fan of the style. It was way too strong for me.

Mmmm, pilsner urquell. I can't believe I used to avoid that one. Thankfully my mind opened up drastically when I started brewing. Now it's a regular.
As far as the worst, gotta be one of those 'ice' somethings. Maybe Natty Ice, my sis in law drinks that and man, she's the only person I turn down when she asks if I wanna beer. Gross.

Vance71975 said:
Pilsner Urquell by far worst beer i ever tasted, ill stick to my black beers lol

Pilsner Urquell is alright, but drinking a hoppy lager from Europe that's packaged in green glass bottles is bound to be a misleading experience, because some level of skunking is virtually guaranteed. Heineken and Stella Artois are in a similar boat... and it's so commonplace that most people think that's what it's SUPPOSED to taste like (which doesn't say much for the people who regularly drink that stuff!) But Urquell is much more aggressively hopped, and so is likely to suffer from skunking even more, since skunking compounds are created from the reaction of hop oils with UV light.

If you drank it fresh, or even if they had the sense to use brown bottles, you probably wouldn't be saying it's the worst.

Gameface said:
I like Captain Bastard's Oatmeal Stout a little. There are several very good micro's in Utah. I think people just have a biased opinion about Utah and beer. The local micros kill at blind taste test comps, yet do very poorly when the judges know they're drinking "Utah" beer.

I recently had a Utah brewed wheat beer by Epic Brewing and it was damn tasty...wish I could score some more of their brews down here in Texas...

Anyone ever had a beer called Big Flats? They seem to only be sold by our local Walgreens...it's like $2.99 a six-pack. Holy jeeze...it's non-lethal poison. If there was such a thing as store brand beer, this is what it'd be like.

Sweetchuck said:
Iron City - from Pittsburgh, where I was bred.

My dad was a staunch IC drinker, so when I was younger we'd watch Steeler games together and drink a ton of it. I never cared for the taste, but I drank it with him out of respect mostly.

IC cuts their beer with corn and it has an acidic taste. I think I got tanked on it one too many times, I have a hard time choking it down anymore.

Aside from lite beers which suck in general (like drinking slightly alcoholic soda water), Corona tastes like piss (with our without the lime) and Tecate, similar taste.

How can you not like iron city. I love it so very much

Bud light with Clamato already in it in a can - had a novelty factor but don't think I'll be trying it again.

i saw on a website for a drink called "Horse Jizz" and it was half beer, half milk. That sounds pretty god awful, thank god they never tried commercializing it.

i saw on a website for a drink called "Horse Jizz" and it was half beer, half milk. That sounds pretty god awful, thank god they never tried commercializing it.

Gee I wonder why they didn't, especially with such a commercially friendly name!

Avery The Beast Grand Cru...worst beer ever, thick, syrupy, way way way over hopped for any kind of dark Belgian, and worst of all it tastes like all of the 16% of the abv is long chain fusel alcohols...nasty

Whatever the Budweiser Lime/Lemon thing is is just below human excrement on my list of things to drink.

I can't remember if I posted this before but it's worth repeating. Grolsch Bok (yes that's how it was spelled) was undrinkable. I believe it's the only beer I could not finish. And that was back in my college years when I could (and did) drink anything.

We bought a sixer to try. After a few swigs we gave the rest to the winos on the beach. I've tried to google it to see if this abomination still exists and I can't even find a record of it. It appears to have been wiped from the historical record like something out of 1984.

Worst micro: Abita Purple Haze. The tasting experience was as follows: "ooh, blueberry! ...wait a second. gah! bud light!"

Worst macro: the beast ties with natty light, for obvious reasons

Worst somewhere in between: Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat. If I wanted fruity pebbles, I'd buy Fruity Pebbles!

This doesn't exactly fit in this topic, but I had some Rahr & sons blonde lager a while ago and it was pretty bad, smalled awful. I had one left in my fridge that sat for only about 6 weeks and I popped it open tonight cause I wanted something to drink out on the patio on a nice night. It was very good! Maybe it was all in my head the first time, but the sulfury smell seemed to be gone and the bready maltyness was really good!

The Beast is definitely the worst macro beer. I remember having a beer at a festival last year that literally tasted like vomit and rotting cheese, i spit it out and had to get a new tasting glass because i didn't want it to mix with any of the other great beers i was tasting. I wish I remembered the name cause i never want to have it again. Buffalo bills pumpkin ale was pretty lame too.

Singha. Thailand. Yet, another piece-of-****-fizzy-beer.
Guaranteed to give you a hangover.
there are also a couple other crappy Asia beers out there too.

Johnvodka said:
Stating the obvious , anything Anheuser Busch.

A lot of people are saying stuff like Bud Light, and as someone who will not order a macrobrew even if I'm at a bar or restaurant with no craft beer whatsoever, I find that a pretty stupid and even pretentious thing to say.

And if Bud Light truly is the worst beer somebody has tried, it says much more about the person than it does about Bud Light. It says, "I am a person who hasn't tried very many different beers." Because, really, Bud Light tastes like fizzy water. It doesn't have a disgusting taste, it simply has no taste.

When you consider all the beers out there that aren't just bad, but can even have an intensity of flavor on par with an IIPA or barleywine, Bud Light just falls entirely off the radar. I mean truly offensive beers that you might even consider vomiting just to get that crap out of you, and the only thing stopping you is the realization that you'll have to taste it again on the way back up. Beer so vile that you would gladly drink your buddy's Bud Light because it's the closest thing around that might help you get the taste out of your mouth.

Sometimes it's the result of an infected or otherwise bad bottle or batch. Other times the beer is just genuinely that bad, whether through poor brewing/fermentation techniques, terrible recipe design, or some combination of factors.

Either way, truly disgusting beers, while not typical, aren't THAT rare, either. To have never encountered something worse than a tasteless Bud Light only implies that the person hasn't really tried many different beers at all.

Shiner Holiday Cheer - cloyingly sweet, harsh medicinal after-taste, left a weird filmy feeling on the roof of my mouth for an hour or two. Easily the least enjoyable beer I have ever had. Thing is, I can find positives in just about any beer I drink, even if it doesn't suit my tastes. That one just had no redeeming qualities whatsoever. Literally the first time I was sorry I even tried a new beer.

I like Captain Bastard's Oatmeal Stout a little. There are several very good micro's in Utah. I think people just have a biased opinion about Utah and beer. The local micros kill at blind taste test comps, yet do very poorly when the judges know they're drinking "Utah" beer.

I agree about Utah beers. They're some of the best I've had. I usually get back there about 2-3 times a year and usually I pick some stuff up after I leave the airport in SLC but I forgot last time and where I grew up (near where I-70 and I-15 meet) Captain Bastards was the only thing I could find within 20 miles that didn't end in the word "light". It may be a good beer, it was probably just sitting on the shelf for a year and a half until I came through. I'll probably give it another chance some time.

Worst I've had was some Chili Beer that came from a brewery in NM. I was at a brewers convention in Salida, CO and man was it horrible. So much so that I won't even consider giving one another try, no matter who the recomendation comes from.

Not the *worst* by any means, but I had a bottle of DFH 90 Min IPA last night and it reminded me how much I hate that beer. Alcoholic hop syrup. Nasty.

Some beer styles just don't appeal to me but that's on me.
But, Wells & Young Banana Bread Beer, that's on them. The single worst beer I've ever had.

A lot of people are saying stuff like Bud Light, and as someone who will not order a macrobrew even if I'm at a bar or restaurant with no craft beer whatsoever, I find that a pretty stupid and even pretentious thing to say.

Exactly. It's the hipster thing to do man, i'm a homebrewer man. I hate anything the man makes man. Shut up already.

_

I can't say it's the worst I've ever had... as there really is no beer that I just hate. But I tried a Fort Collins Chocolate Stout the other night and the aftertaste was pretty disgusting. Not sure if maybe I got a bad bottle, but it wasn't good at all.

I was going to say your 9% green apple fizz bomb, but I couldn't bring myself to do it.^^^^

_

Back