First sour mash.. quick question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elproducto

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm doing my first Berliner Weiss.. and I'm going to attempt a sour mash, as I don' thave access to the commercial Lacto.

Does it matter if the grain I use to sour mash is milled or not?

Also.. should I pitch the sour mash prior to my ale yeast?

You should mill the grain in your sour mash. I'm a bit confused by your other question about when to pitch. Are you sour mashing only a portion of the mash and then adding that to the rest later? On my sour mashed beers I typically sour mash the entire grain bill for varying lengths of time. (longer=more sour) Then I boil the entire volume to kill off the sour bugs, cool and pitch whatever ale yeast I'm using.

Terje

From what I have read, pitching lacto prior to the yeast will increase the sourness of the beer. Some people pitch them at the same time, some people pitch the lacto in secondary. My last batch I pitched them at the same time and it wasn't near sour enough for me so I'm pitching the lacto 24 hours prior to the yeast this time around.

Latest posts

Back