What Qualifies as Cyser?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lundvarr

Reaction score
Hello all!

Just made a batch of cider wine. Augmented with 40/60 honey/cane sugar. It turned out quite good and has definite mead-like finish. By taste, one would think it is a cyser. So what is it exactly? What ratios areneeded for a cyser? I've always considered cyser to be cider/honey only, or at least the honey should be the primary fermentable sugar at a ratio of 1lb to a gallon of cider. This batch is 2lbs per 5 gallons.

Thanks!

Correct, a cyser is apple juice and honey, no cane sugar. Call it an apple wine and if people notice the mead-like finish, tell them it has some honey in it.

I always went with the idea that if around half or more of the character comes from honey, it's enough on the mead side to be called a variety of mead, ie. melomel, cyser, braggot etc.

Thanks. I think I will call it a cyser due to the profound mead character. Next time no cane sugar and I will compare.

Latest posts

Back