Hops pruning question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BruNut

Reaction score
My hops have already topped my 16' trellis. Should i snip the lead runners to produce a bushier plant with more flowers or let them run amuck?

Makes sense it would work that way. I hve 16 plants and each has 3-4 good bines trained so i should get a nice bunch of flowers this year!

I'm voting for running amok. (I worked with a guy from Australia and that's how they spell it - just me, don't worry). You'll have a bird's-nest at the top but you'll most likely have some more cones that way. Ever been to Bert's Better Beers in Hookset? He's got some good stuff. Happy Growing!

Well since i have a good nomber of plants i decided to try both methods. Top a couple and let the others run amok;-)
B-hoppy i have heard good things from my neighbor about Berts. Since it sounds like you are in my area have you checked out Candia Rd Brewing Co.?

BruNut said:
Well since i have a good nomber of plants i decided to try both methods. Top a couple and let the others run amok;-)
B-hoppy i have heard good things from my neighbor about Berts. Since it sounds like you are in my area have you checked out Candia Rd Brewing Co.?

Tipping a plant eliminates the hormone that restricts side shoot growth. You will probably see faster branching on the tipped ones.

I top my plants as well. I have a 12 foot trellis and prune them once they reach the top. As stated above, the lateral shoots will be stimulated by this and go crazy. I've done it both ways, and I don't think pruning will increase your harvest, but it won't really decrease it either. The only reason I do it is to make the plant more bushy so that more moisture gets trapped around the leaves. I have an easier time fighting off the spider mites this way. They can be a real nuisance for me come July and August.

I'm actually in Ohio but have had some dealings with him. Cool place!

Don't do it! They are tip growers. I grow several varieties and sure you can trim the tips and they get bushy..but not as many hops cones are produced. Just let them go and train them on lines for an arbor.

Don't do it! They are tip growers. I grow several varieties and sure you can trim the tips and they get bushy..but not as many hops cones are produced. Just let them go and train them on lines for an arbor.

I got 4 lbs off of two cascade plants pruned at 12 feet last year. What do you usually get?

Back