Energizer/Nutrient Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ASamWitch

Reaction score
OK, I know this may be goofy, but I just realized after reading through my notes on my last batch, that I used a Tablespoon Instead of a Teaspoon with the Energizer and Nutrient amounts. Is this going to make a big impact? What have I just created?

What have I just created?

yeast_large_winter.gif

Why don't you give us the full details of your batch including how big it is, the amounts you added, the starting gravity, and yeast strain?

Why don't you give us the full details of your batch including how big it is, the amounts you added, the starting gravity, and yeast strain?
It is a 6 gallon batch with 71B yeast. I ended up putting in 3 tablespoons of nutrient and 2 tablespoons of energizer

It sounds like you added more than 500 ppm YAN.
The good news is that the yeast should be able to consume that much. Massive overdoses can leave it tasting salty/metallic, but I suspect that won't be the case here.

You do not have to dump it.

The bad news is that excess nutrient tends to produce wines/meads with less aroma, and can lead to sulfur odors. I'd make sure it doesn't sit on its lees, and if it develops any sulfur odors, I'd treat them aggressively.

Medsen

Back