Cool Pale Ale Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJC16

Reaction score
I am coming up on week 4 of fermentation of this pale ale. My SG was 1.039 and my current gravity is 1.016. I used saf ale 05 fermenting around 63 degrees. Should I move it to a warmer place?

0519000823_0001.jpg

I generally ferment in that range with us-05. I've had great results, although my fermentation takes a little longer. Very clean results. 1.039 to 1.016 seems a bit high. I just bottled an IIPA that went from 1.082 to 1.014 in the low 60's. US-05 is usually good down to about 59 or 60.

What was your recipe? Did you use a software program? If not, post the recipe and I could plug it into Beertools for you.

I would personally recommend a ramped ferm. I have been using US-05 lately and what I tend to do is ramp the fermentation after about a week (Or when the krausen falls which is typically 6-7 days into fermentation). I ferment at 63'F with US-05 for the first week or so then ramp 1'F a day until it reaches 68'F. I let the beer sit for 2 days at 68'F to clean up any fermentation by products and keg.

Amount Item Type % or IBU
9.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 100.00 %
1.00 oz Sorachi Ace [12.30 %] (60 min) Hops 40.6 IBU

With that malt bill and all conditions being as you said, my two guesses would be a bad hydrometer or bad thermometer. Either your gavity readings are off or you fermented too high and don't know it. I've done the latter before, with my thermometer being off by 15 deg. Check that first. 63 deg for S-04 should have no trouble getting it down to 1.010 or lower, especially after 4 weeks and all pale malt.

The hydrometer is fine I just tested it, I have the stick on thermometer on my carboy.

^I think he was eluding to your mash temperature when he made the comment about the inaccurate thermometer. If you mashed exceptionally high it would leave a lot of unfermentables in your wort.

^I think he was eluding to your mash temperature when he made the comment about the inaccurate thermometer. If you mashed exceptionally high it would leave a lot of unfermentables in your wort.

That is indeed what I meant. Sorry about that.

Ok are the non fermentables keeping the krausen on top of the beer then, shouldn't it clear up?

I think we misunderstood and thought that your krausen had dropped and that you had a stuck fermentation. It's tough to tell from the pic if that is krausen or just yeast crud.

Yes, move it to some place warmer. 70* is ideal. That will help it along and it will finish out on it's own.

Latest posts

Back